Head System

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Head System

Post by Dug »

I am thinking about possible future projects and installation of a head system that is more substantial than a porta pottie comes to mind.

But I don't know much about models, features and benefits...

I do know they are all clog prone, and you have to be very careful what you put in them.

Any advice for what specific head might work well in the B31, be simple to operate and maintain, and fix, reasonably priced, and would generally be smiled upon by ladies?

And, maybe more important, how big to size the holding tank? Raw water flush? I have the original 18 gallon water tank to supply otherwise...seems small to me.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Navatech

Re: Head System

Post by Navatech »

IMHO, an integrated (tank and throne) vacuum system would offer the best performance and reliability... It will work with fresh water (avoids a lot of problems) and is quite frugal in water consumption...

Dometic is one of the industry's "gold standards"...
scot

Post by scot »

In my youth I worked as a plumbers helper. Once on a service call the women's complaint was "my commode won't swallow". Dug, I think what you are asking (and I want to know as well) is, what marine head system can I install that will swallow.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Dug,
I installed a Galley Maid with a built-in macerator easy install, 3/4'' Hose in for sea water 3/4" out for waste to a 10 gallon poly plastic holding tank with Y valve for overboard discharge outside coastal waters. Complete system was about $450.00
The macerator pump has stainless steel blades that will chop just about anything. Easy to service. Galley Maid is in Rivera Beach Fl. easy to deal with. Used them in both Jupiter 31's and Legend 34 almost bullet proof.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Dug

Post by Dug »

Nav, thanks.

Scot, yes, the age old question... ;)

Pete, awesome advice. Thank you!