Convertible

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Convertible

Post by Yannis »

When a Bertram (or other boat) is referred to as a "convertible" , what does it convert to?
What is the initial boat configuration and what does it change to?
Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Re: Convertible

Post by Navatech »

My 46' was officially called a "Convertible" but it has a flybridge... IIRC, when a 31' has the "Convertible" in the name it doesn't have a flybridge...

IOW, it's really a marketing thing... Flybridge models were often called "Sport Fisher" regardless of what the company called them... Sales departments have to consider the "Admirals"... Call it an FB or SF and they loose interest... Call it a "Convertible", instal a rear bulkhead, add some creature comforts in the salon and suddenly that the boat has other uses...

http://www.jimmyrogersyachtbroker.com/d ... of-yachts/

https://www.google.co.il/search?client= ... 8Qf-5J_AAg
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

So it can convert from a fishing boat to a cruiser and its accompanying amenities.
Thanks Nav.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

I always thought of a Convertible as the crossover SportFish/Cruiser.

SportFish with flybridge and large cockpit was the hardcore fishing machine, the battlewagon men aspired to.

Convertible was the boat that had that Sportfish look, but the cockpits got a little smaller to make more room inside for cruising, entertaining and family. A convertible is not the edgy, fishing comes first setup with built in tackle stations, fighting chair, ice machine, built in kill box, outriggers, tuna tower, etc etc.

That said, I am not sure of any hard and fast rules to differentiate.