An Australian politician discussing ship design

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

An Australian politician discussing ship design

Post by IRGuy »

An interview with an Australian politician discussing an accident involving a tanker ship that apparently broke apart
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=%2 ... &FORM=VIRE
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Re: An Australian politician discussing ship design

Post by Tony Meola »

Frank

That can not be for real. That was watching Abbott & Costello do "Who's on First."

Many years ago American Bureau of Shipping was a client of mine. They are the independent body that sets the standards and in many cases overseas the building of these ships. In the case of a disaster like the front falling off or as in Exxon Valdez, they supply the surveyors to figure out what happened.

So knowing what ABS does, and having seen them in action, I have to say, I find this a little unbelievable.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:Frank

That can not be for real. That was watching Abbott & Costello do "Who's on First."

Many years ago American Bureau of Shipping was a client of mine. They are the independent body that sets the standards and in many cases overseas the building of these ships. In the case of a disaster like the front falling off or as in Exxon Valdez, they supply the surveyors to figure out what happened.

So knowing what ABS does, and having seen them in action, I have to say, I find this a little unbelievable.
The original Bing video is no longer there so I'm thinking it's this video:

And yes, it's for real all right... As in a for real satire show... It's a "A Current Affair" skit from 1991 skit from featuring Australian satirists John Clarke and Bryan Dawe...

And yes, though classification societies like ABS (American Bureau of Shipping), Loyds, BV (Bureau Veritas), NKK (Nippon Kaiji Kyokai) and so forth do try their best mishaps can (and do) happen... Take for example the problems certain designs of ore/bulk carriers have had... Both with cargo hold hatches coming off (leading to progressive flooding of the holds and sinking or breaking) and with the hulls breaking... Another example would be bow loading RoRo vessels equipped with "visors"... It's a process and over the years things have gotten better but the sea is a cruel mistress...

A bit of history here... Marine insurance started out as a gambling thing... The vessel's/cargo's owner would basically bet (relatively long odds) that his ship/cargo would NOT reach its destination... If the vessel did make it the owners would have lost a relatively small amount of money (which had been calculated into the freight cost to begin with)... The bookie (insurance underwriter) would have made that as his profit... If the ship did flounder the owners would have been indemnified for their losses and the bookie (insurance underwriter) would carry the cost...

In order to calculate the odds it was helpful to send a surveyor to inspect (classify) the vessel being insured... A well build and well maintained vessel presented a lower risk to the bookie (insurance underwriter) whereas a badly build or badly maintained vessel presented a higher risk... Especially as the maintenance condition would also an insight into the seamanship of the crew... Which, of course, is another risk factor...

All of you who have a CG registered vessel are familiar with the process... Whenever repairs are done you have to call the CG boys (or gals) and they'll make sure your work is done according to the rules... Or not... In which case you lose your CG certification and, with that, your ability to use your vessel commercially... Loose your "class" and nobody will insure your vessel/cargo and you're out of business...
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Tony...

When I first watched this clip it took a while for me to realize it is a great example of the droll Aussie wit. As you say.. reminiscent of the old Abbott and Costello bit "Who's on first".. I needed to watch it twice to be sure. A great example of "tongue in cheek" humor.

All I can say is...

Gotcha!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

IRGuy wrote:Tony...

When I first watched this clip it took a while for me to realize it is a great example of the droll Aussie wit. As you say.. reminiscent of the old Abbott and Costello bit "Who's on first".. I needed to watch it twice to be sure. A great example of "tongue in cheek" humor.

All I can say is...

Gotcha!
Frank

Did you know that ABS shares the same tax exempt status as the NFL. I believe the only two US organizations that do so.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315