running light placement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

goldfish74

running light placement

Post by goldfish74 »

For those of you who have replaced the red/green bow lights, where exactly have you mounted them? As far outboard as possible or on the vertical portion of the bridge? If any of you are in New Jersey maybe I could take a look before drilling any holes.
Thanks
Jeff
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

gold fish

If you check out the listings pages you will see how some of the guys have placed them. I still have the original bow chock on mine. Tony Meola
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Jeff - most of us have put them on the sides of the fb just aft of where the front starts to curve. I probably have some pix of mine and if you send me an email at royvictor@cox.net I can shoot them to you.

UV
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Is that legal? I thought they had to be on the bow
"Who," Galileo asked, "would dare assert that we know all there is to be known?"
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

I have mine on the Bow..Good for maintaining night vision. They dont reflect off the rails or anything...... but big waves..
Wayne
goldfish74

Thank You

Post by goldfish74 »

Thanks for the responses. I think I have a pretty good idea now.

Vic- thanks for the offer but I don't think its necessary to send pics.

Tony- Still have the original, but its pooped out after 33 years of service.

I have a feeling that it may not be an easy fix, as this was the only wire on the boat not replaced when we repowered 5 years ago and I don't think the access improved since then. I thought while it was broken it may be a better idea to have the lights a bit higher, and the access to service would be so much easier. I never thought about the glare issue.

Thanks again for the responses and e mails. Now just waiting to splash to try out the new oversized rudders we installed this winter.

Jeff
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

They are legal on the sides....as I remember they have to be visible dead ahead and 135 degrees to the side. I've had no glare problems with mine at all, have the Perko lexan 2 mile ones, white and you can hardly notice them they are so small.

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

I recommend the Perko's as well, but spend the extra loot and buy the LED lights. I wish I had.

They will not corrode the same way the damned light bulb versions do...

Dug
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Led are great,I have them.. but they glare... Believe me. Get them out on the bow
Wayne