Sticking My Shunt where the Sun Don't Shine

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephan

Sticking My Shunt where the Sun Don't Shine

Post by Stephan »

Gentlemen-
I am in the process or relocating my batteries from outboard of the port engine to the bilge.
I will have two batteries for the house bank and am planning a common ground wire from one to another of the house batteries and then to the ground on the Starboard engine. In line on the link to the ground point I plan to insert a shunt for a battery monitor Image(http://www.internationalmarineservice.c ... bm-1cw.htm).
There is the opportunity to mount the shunt on the stringer just aft and below of the rear inboard engine mount. I am considering a weatherproof enclosure like Image http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3256598 with cable glands to preserve the weatherproof quality.
Please save me from myself if this is folly or encourage me to a better solution.
Many thanks,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Yannis

Re: Sticking My Shunt where the Sun Don't Shine

Post by Yannis »

Stephan,

I was considering putting a very similar meter to monitor all electrical currents, with a similar price if not a bit more expensive, BUT I would put it where I can see it most often i.e. inside the cabin somewhere; why put it in the bilge?
Also, I remember that in the one I was considering there was a screen that showed how much time of useful battery juice you're left with, assuming your current electricity consumption.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Yannis-
Thanks for the reply.
I had considered a https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/do ... ies-EN.pdf but changed my mind as that unit requires more depth than I have available by the DC distribution panel where I want to mount the monitor.
The part I am referring to mounting is the shunt which feeds the monitor. The shunt must be put in the ground of the battery bank as I understand it. The batteries are in the bilge and the nearest grounding point available is on my starboard Crusader engine.
Best,
Stephan
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Stephan,

I had thought to install mine in the cabin on the stb column, between the two windows (side window and aft window).
Victron was one I had also considered, as my solar panels are made by them too.
I believe the depth of the column is sufficient for the meter depth.
Good luck, tell us what you eventually did.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.cruzpro.com/vah110.html

Try looking at Cruz Pro. Also, you run the boat from the bridge, why not put the screen there?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

When you are up there, the motors are running, so you don't care what your electrical consumption is.
It's when you stop and come down that you work the fridge and lights and pumps etc, it's when you want to know where you are electricity wise.
So, I think it's better for the meter to be in the cabin somewhere visible.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

smart move put the batteries dead center of bilge directly under companion way floor board which put all that weight in the lowest center of gravity and centered on keel(acts like sailboat lead keel) . i don`t know what your electrical set up is but remember these words "no electrical,electronic devices aft of main bulkhead" keep everthing electrical in cabin above floor and never have problems. nothing under that engine box but a engine and harness .battery chargers and all electrical including battery switches in cabin! battery monitering would be best if put in main electrical panel or alongside .this is my main panel as example upper part is low voltage with three battery banks monitered by battery switch in center of low voltage panel label "battery". batteries are in boat 10 years with 0 maintenance and terminals (eight sided crimped 4/0 aviation cable with shrink tube over bolted to the battery studs) no ring terminals allow on a Bertram!

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Bob-
Pretty work as always.
I'm guessing the ammeter on the DC panel uses a shunt for measurement. Where is that shunt located?
Best,
Stephan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i mounted the electrical panel,gen. panel,shore,gen panel on a teak panel that is ss hinge on bottom then recess into back of vee- birth bulkhead on starboard side . the hold panel swings down to work on with the pull of that handle mounted on top of panel. shunt is in back of meter.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is 12volt (low voltage) upper electrical panel.the lower panel is 120volt . all the 120volt in boat is ran inside of fiber optic underground flex tubing that is earthquate proof or able to withstand drops off 15, waves without creating a electrical short situation from vibration.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

stephan if you are using multible 27 size batteries in this case AGM. they fit perfectly in companion way. i have port engine,starboard engine and two for house with power to gen. all three banks are isolated.no tap off on battery terminals strickly positive ,negative all distribution under seat in cabin.note terminals on batteries using studs and SS nuts lock washers.(battery boxes with tops off for photo)

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

electrical distribution center in high and dry cabin .main bulkhead seals cabin from cockpit bilge water so 0 maintenance for 16 years.only fuze on boat is for bilge pump panel on bridge shown on left of photo. all individual feeds to cockpit panel,two bridge panels,and main panel isolated with lighting protection for electronics panel.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I don't see any fuses for the battery cables. ABYC says fuse 7 inches from the battery. Did I miss it?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes you missed it. photo is taken with draw under satee in the close position , the electrical distributon fills the area in back of drawer (dead space) the fused links same as the translucent plastic covered link that is used for power tap is under drawer leading to this space.also not shown is large main grounding bar that grounds all panels and by way of 4/0 aviation cable connecting all four batteries ,both engines.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Bob-
Thanks for all that detail and the pictures. I appreciate the time and thought for a thorough response like that.
If the shunt is behind the panel is it just measuring the draw from the items on the panel? I've squeezed 4 Group 31 AGMs into the bilge between and below the engines. The rear two batteries are dedicated starting batteries and the front two are the house bank. The primary bilge pumps will draw from the house bank. I want my battery monitor to "see" the house as well as the bilge pump draw so I'm planning on the shunt going directly into the house bank's ground line.
Is this a mistake?
Best,
Stephan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sorry Stephan i should explain you cannot have shunt in series (current is always in series and battery voltage is parallel)with bilge pumps. they must be wired direct off battery power .i install separate bilge pump panel with three isolated feeds one from each battery bank so 5 bilge pumps are on three sepearate isolated feeds and it did just that on land during hurricane sandy.those bilge pumps ran for hours keeping up with water flowing thru garboard in very bottom of transom.all three battery switches off (remember this is salt water) big bang if salt water hits the level of starter motor so switches are off BUT bilge pump panel is on line side of battery switch protected with "dooms day fuse". hate to ramble on but when i don`t in comes 50 PM`S. so my answer is just moniter main panel forget bilge pumps ok!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Bob-
Thanks for thinking this through with me, I look forward to posting the pictures of my batteries snug and as neat as yours soon.
Best,
Stephan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my experience tells me any electrical device and connections under cockpit ,companion way will deterioate in salt water atmosphere . you should seal main bulkhead at bilge then utilize the first compartment in cabin area in back of water tank for main ground bar and electrical raceway to get to that dead space area in back of drawer for battery charger,battery switches,12 volt power tap,isolation diodes, etc. use every square inch of dry area for electrical and never put any of these devices in engine box!!!!! were you add salt air/heat/moisture/oily air what more can i say.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Bob-
Thanks again an I appreciate your advice. I agree completely with the aspiration to keep the electrical bits as far from the elements as possible and with traditional shaft packing my bilge is a wet place.
I believe I have had good luck with battery switches in the engine compartment though. Ours is very much a family boat and I like the requirement of opening the engine box to get things going and get shut down. The short runs from the batteries is nice too.
After your post on launching Phoenix I now have bottom envy (insert joke here) as well as electrical envy...
Best,
Stephan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the bottom envy has a story to it. the yard men started to hide from me !! i came up with a case of beer every day . i need the boat lifted and reblocked every day for five days straight. Bob you are a nut job became the cry of the yard man.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473