side scan imaging

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

side scan imaging

Post by Kevin »

We have spoke of the various plotters and bottom finders. My personal favorite as plotters goes is the Garmin. As many of you know I have a project boat...no gadgets at this point, but good running boat. I like the concept of the Humminbird side scan, but have not seen it mentioned on this board. Soon I will have to get a bottom finder and think the garmin is fine, but kind of wanted to hear what the gang hear has to say about the side scan and quality of Humminbird. Sonar capabilities look good but I am not convinced based on my research that the plotter is Garmin quality.

Does Humminbird make stand alone sidescan? I read about the 997c SI with all the bells and whistles but its allotta loot.
Just looking for ideas and this is the best place to get them.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Kevin: I bought a Robalo walkaround demo back in the mid 90's that was rigged out with Humminbird 3D depth sounder and Humminbird GPS / plotter. Both units went back to the factory at least twice for repairs. Now I can't speak for their current products, but I don't see any on boats these days. How did your engine mounts / alignment go? Got her back up and running?

Eddy G.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Eddy,
Kinda what I was thinking. The adds look remarkable, but why don't I see them on boats around here? I did not like the price tag anyways. I would be better off with a 5 gallon bucket with a glass bottom.

Mounts just got here today and they look good. They are the Poly Flex brand which I know nothing about. Steyr said they are an upgrade so that is great to me. Won't be able to fix it untill around the 19 or 20th of the month. oh well. Just as long as it is done by the 27th I will be happy.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Kevin I have the color twinscope from interphase. It works well but it takes time to learn what you are looking at. At first I could not really tell what the hell I was seeing but after a season I got it. I would not leave the dock without it.