250hp is it enough?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CamB25

250hp is it enough?

Post by CamB25 »

I have a line on very low hour Yamaha OX250, circa 2001 with a 30" shaft. Wondering if this will be "adequate" for powering the experimental Bertram for a while.

I have one weight point for the boat..hull with all structure except t-top, and a bunch of accessories ...3400lbs on the truck stop scale. This is about 1k pounds lower than I feared...happy! To this number I need to add engine, fuel, people, stuff, paint, etc. I'm guessing that the minimum running weight will be about 6000 lbs with 3 people and a case of beer.

250hp....not a speed demon, but given the 2 stroke grunt, do you think it's adequate? I know these engines are well regarded for durability and the price is very low...

thanks
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
captbone

Re: 250hp is it enough?

Post by captbone »

Plenty of power. I promise. 17 Pitch Saltwater Series II prop or Mirage Plus.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I thought you might have an opinion, thanks! I think the internet has run out of 225 Mariners...I hear these are good options as well!

What the hell! Looks the deal will go through. It'll save $20k+ on the build. It's 15 years old but looks very good and has less than 150 hours on it. Probably end up being another project...

This is going to be one crazy-assed Bertram when its done. Seems fitting to hang an antique two stroke off the back...on a 10" hydraulic jackplate, of course...because I have to be different from sane people.

I've started calling it "Project X"...part of the skunk works operation in suburban Virginia.

Onward!
1963 Bertram 25
captbone

Post by captbone »

Great news. That first run in your boat (even if not complete) is worth so much. It will prove your concept, it will further motivate and also allow you to figure out a lot of things.

Put the engine on and run it. Your smile will be able to be seen from space.
scot

Post by scot »

This is about 1k pounds lower than I feared...happy
Cam.. they are lighter than everyone assumes. Some the these boats running around have full cabins, flybridges, towers and twin v8s with v-drives and still performing well and not sitting heavy in the water. The 25 with a 10ft beam is big boat for the bare hull weight. Good luck on the OB, I concur with Capt Bone, 250hp is plenty.

BTW thanks for the weight data on your cc conversion, always nice to have additional validation on hull weights.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Looks like that "deal" is a dude. We can't agree on payment terms. Looks like a good motor if someone is in the Tampa area and needs a 30" shaft.

Scott - that weight is for a boat that only resembles a stock B25 on the outside. I added weight and took some away. I actually think it is a bit lighter than the stock hull, primarily due to the use of coosa to replace all of the deck and cutting away most of the sport convertible cap. The "export" weight from the catalogs is something around 5500 lbs. I think I'll come in under that number by a bit.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25