window installation help

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

window installation help

Post by bob lico »

i am installing two windows plus the door window in the cockpit area much the same look as jp did or wayne(sea nile).i made a template and cut the bulkhead from what i see there is no way any tool i have could make a lip in the inside oh the bulkhead to accept the 1/4"tempered glass.i have two routers,a roto zip and dremel nothing is going to make that rabbit on the head inside corner no tool could work in a 1"border.so i will laminate a 1/4" material to finesh flush with the glass than a teak trim.i am using sikaflex 296 to hold the glass to the inside bulkhead.this method will produce a 1/2" "reveal" around the glass viewed from the outside.is this what you guys did? i love that clean look with no molding on the outside. i made the glass 3/4 larger than the opening all around is this the correct procedure?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt patrick how do you apply the sikaflex 296 you recomended. i did not realize 296 does not come in a cartrige, is it meant to be spread with a putty knife ? or do you put that plastic adapter on the package and squeeze it.
thank you
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bob: West System sells empty caulking gun tubes. If they would help West Marine sells them. Good luck.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob.

SikaFlex comes both in a "sausage" and a standard caulk tube... Sounds like you got the sausage that requires a special caulk gun. Like Rawleigh said, you could transfer the contents to an empty tube, but it can be a messy pain in the butt.

It's probably too late for your bulkheads, but I make the bulkhead by laminating two sheets of 1/2" ply, giving me a 1" bulkhead, and then cutting the rabbet. If your bulkhead is too thin, you might think about tacking on an additional piece of ply to allow enough thickness for the bearing to follow.

Br,

Patrick
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you rawleigh,capt patrick for the quick reply.i never saw a sausage type sikaflex tube before and had no idea how to use it.i have a existing bulkhead in perfect condition and want to retain it.my idea was just to support the glass from the inside.when i put the glass up from the inside there is just a 3/4" border of wood left on the courner were the bulkhead meets the interior wall of the head.i wanted to put a 1/4" rabbit cut to accept the 1/4" glass but the router will not fit in such a tight space.i will cut a piece of 1/2" plywood with a 1/4"rabbit in it to accept the glass or possibly cut strips of 1/4" plywood to surround the glass for support then put 1/4" teak over the whole wall for a finish touch.
that procedure will leave me with a 1/4" reveal on the inside that can be covered with teak trim.do you feel this is a good method.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Bob are these standard industrial size sausages? We use the guns for stuff we do. If you need me to lend you one I can. Or not I think the guns are about $50.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tim the sausage is 12" long and 2" in diameter are you familar with this sikaflex 296 glass sealant? this is my first attemped at tempered glass instalation.i imagine you would use the same look on the hatt.would really appreciate the help.each pane of glass cost 240.00,sure would be stupid on my part to install incorect. bob
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Bob sounds like the type of stuff we use. Should have called me, I think you got retailed on the glass. I'm not really aware of that sika product. Most of the urethane stuff we use is auto based. I would sugget that you prime the edges of the the glass and seal and etch the stops to block uv and create a better bonding surface. It sounds though as if you will have part of the bulkhead trim blocking the uv, so it probably won't be a problem.
Pm me a address and I'll get a gun and a few nozles in the mail(OK Kevin I'll get your stuff in also)

BTW the tubb gets no glass. Cut the top off and am making her into a express. With the motors I goy from your protege I should atleast be able to get out of my own way.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Timmmmy

You thought our glass was expensive.

Bob,
We use 1/2" Grey so the carver could add some depth to image in the door, the sides just have a little touch carving so it didn't look to busy. Since the glass was as thick as the back bulkhead there will be teak trim both inside and out. If you'd like I can send you some pics.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp the glass guy said 1/4" tempered glass is right for the job.then he recomended #12 grey. he said if you go for #14 black " i have to kick you in the balls" well low and behold i went for the #14 ouch !!! 240.00 each. i have never seen a picture of your bert taken from the stern looking foward showing the cockpit windows. i view the sea nile and this is the look i wanted-------no outside trim. in your case you have the beautiful teak on the outside bulkhead wall with that terific teak overhang i imagine the teak trim looks great.how did you attach the glass to the bulkhead wall?
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Yea JP your not kidding.

Lets go kill tuner, and brain cells