Fire at marina in Urbanna, Va

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rawleigh

Fire at marina in Urbanna, Va

Post by Rawleigh »

"B" dock at Port Urbanna (old Hurley's boatyard) burned early this morning. The 911 call was at 3:45. Two liveaboards are missing and presumed dead. 50+ boats, including my father in laws 40 foot sportfish, were destroyed and some of the last large boat (60+ foot) covered slips were destroyed. The second story building at the end of the pier was the yacht club. My father in law's boat was about 4 or 5 slips to the left of the Yacht club. The shore is to the left, the floating docks at the end of the pier are to the right. The Coastguard was pretty worthless and could not get their fire pump to work. They didn't even save the sailboat to the right that was on the end of the floating dock. It could have safely been moved before the fire worked its way down the floating dock to burn it. Several burning boats broke free of their moorings and floated about the creek. The fireboat ran up the Bay from the York River 3 counties away.

http://wric.com/2016/02/29/fire-reporte ... middlesex/
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rawleigh

Re: Fire at marina in Urbanna, Va

Post by Rawleigh »

The Virginia State Police is now calling it arson. The two bodies were recovered and sent to the medical examiner.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Too many Marina fires lately. They just had one up here in South Jersey that took out 8 boats.

In the winter it is usually caused by idiots trying to run heaters.

Two people dead, there will be murder charges.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I am still not sure how they will ever prove the case with all of the evidence burnt or lying in the mud. There are so many possible sources of fire in a marina too.
Last edited by Rawleigh on Mar 2nd, '16, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
John F.

Post by John F. »

Horrible. 2 lives lost.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Horrible and, frankly, totally unjustified IMHO...

One of the things I always noted at the Miami Boat show (yachts section - along Collins Ave) is how MFD has the place completely covered with prepositioned pumps, hoses, fire engines and MFD personnel...

I have equally noted how practically every marina I have visited was almost completely lacking in fire detecting and fighting provisions... And too may boats (of those I have seen) don't have a comprehensive fire detection system...

In short, every marina I have seen to date was a fire tragedy waiting to happen... A few portable (5.5. pounders) fire extinguishers positioned here and there plus the fresh water supplies to the docks are totally inadequate to deal with a fire on a single boat... If it were up to me I'd specify a dedicated (sea water) fire line with hydrants on every dock... With easily deployable fire hoses on every dock... I'd also specify a functional fire detection system for the marina... I mean, if building codes can specify sprinkler systems for just about any commercial building they should also address marina fire hazards...