Want to upgrade GPS

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

Want to upgrade GPS

Post by bertram 20 »

I wanted to upgrade my GPS this year I have been a Garmin GUY but wanted to get some of your opinions on different models. i am looking for a big screen unit and have also been looking at ray marine. What do you think
Stephan

Re: Want to upgrade GPS

Post by Stephan »

I think the lowest cost for screen size is the B&G (Simrad with some sail software) Zeus T12 http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... id=2935231
It is not the latest technology and it does require a sounder unit but 12 inches qualifies as big screen in my book.
Good luck,
S
Possunt quia posse videntur
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ultimately all units are pretty user friendly, and have similar options. I think it comes down to how comfortable you are with user interface.

I have a Raymarine E120 big screen HD that I took off Alchemy and am replacing only because I will need/want/aw shit gotta have matching screens when I'm done, but it works really well, sitting upstairs here in Worcester doing nothing. I will make you a heck of a deal compared to new. It is very upgradeable if you want, and is a full on multifunction display. It was under cover its entire existence and still has the sun/shade cover. Happy to email you pictures. I upgraded/cross graded/replaced all the electronics on the boat when I took on this crazy assed project. But there was nothing really wrong with what I had. At all.

While I am at it I have a Raytheon R21XX open array 4kw radar that works great as well, but got supplanted when I changed how I use my electronics. Again, willing to make a great deal.

If you are interested let me know. Close enough to hand deliver!!!!!

Dug
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

hey dug ya I may be interested send me some pics and price to grumpygruner@verizon.net thanks
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yes, the Raymarine E120 is a little long in the teeth BUT, back in the day it was the top of the line... It's still a good machine!...
Dug

Post by Dug »

Long in the teeth? A V850 is long in the teeth. Even the stuff between the JRC raytheon days and this is long in the teeth. This is a pretty nice machine actually. It would have stayed on the boat but I was adding another screen. Vanity made me want them to match.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Dug wrote:Long in the teeth?
A little...
Dug wrote:This is a pretty nice machine actually.
That's what I said...