Starting Yanmar lp6

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

Starting Yanmar lp6

Post by Brewster Minton »

The engine would not start. Checked the starter and it was ok. Checked the nuetral switch and the selinoids and they were ok. In the end it was the secondary selinoid had a bad ground because there was to much paint on its contact to the block. Cleaned it off and bolted it back on now its fine. Just thought I would share this so if anyone who has this problem does not suffer like me.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Start

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Good tip. I have redundant solenoids on my Cummins, also. Think I've had sort of the dame problem with one.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Brewster Minton

Capt Mike,with the alarms on you could hear it click one time when I hit the start button but she would not turn over. I jumped the starter and it turned over. Then I thought it might be the nuetral safety switch but I went though that and it was good. I tested the selenoids and they were good. This is when I almost lost it and you know that feeling.
RussP

Post by RussP »

Brewister, it's nice not having any solenoids to deal with. I'm glad your in the water and ready to fish.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Capt. Mike Holmes

Solenoids

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Brewster, I thought you were talking about fuel shut off solenoids - that was my problem once. I did have the other kind of solenoid problem recently on my genset. Turned out to the wire from the ignition to the solenoid had pulled out of the connector at the attachment lug. Drove me nuts til I found it.

Russ, what, do you hand crank your engines?
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Brewster Minton

Russ has my old motors and they love to run. And if they have air, fuel, and 12v they will pop on the first turn every time. I do miss them because they were so easy to figure out. Now its all wires and fifty different things to go through when it is unhappy. But as I blow past 20 knots I miss them a lot less. And Im still not in. Painting the squids and whale eyes on this morning and splash Friday after the props are done.