Bonding System replacement?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Matt29

Bonding System replacement?

Post by Matt29 »

Anyone have some insight into replacing a bonding system? I've got the aft bilge cleaned out for replacment of the fuel tank and rudders/shelves and thought this may an opportune time to replace the bonding strip. I'm not sure how much this job entails as far as replacement of the strip under the engines and fwd of the cabin bulkhead. Is there a way to determine if the existing strip is acceptable? Some lessons learned from experience would be appreciated. Don't get me wrong, the entire electrical system needs updating/replacing, but I thought this would be the time to address the bonding strip so that I don't have to go back down there when I rehab the elec distrib later. Basically, as you all know with a 30+ yr old boat, the futher you dig, the more jobs you uncover and I'm trying to evaluate when to stop and put it back together.

Thanks in advance for your support,
Matt
1975 B28 FBC
Toms River, NJ
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

matt the way i went about doing it was taking 8ft strips of copper 1inch wide and piecing them together. i'm not sure what everyone else does but if you decide to go this way i have some copper left over.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Matt,
This topic has been covered in depth a few times. Do a search and you should get some good results.
thereheis

bonding

Post by thereheis »

i just went throught this on my redo.all my copper strips were in good shape,but i ohmed it out at all the places that i needed to connect my bonding wire just to make shure, -from rudders struts etc.....then i ran all new #6-#8 wire with all new tinned connections,making shure that i used electrical grease on all my connections prior to crimping.and the heat shrunk all the ends,,,and also ran a bonding to my aluminum bow rail as well,,,it was a task but i am all bonded and grounded now, after being struck by lighting once thats all it took .don't fool with mother nature,,,,,bond -bond-ground ground never have too much and can never be to safe at it ,,,

phil