B28 Stern Tube Daimeter Question?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkD

B28 Stern Tube Daimeter Question?

Post by MarkD »

Hey folks... I want to order the PSS Shaft seals and I am running inch and a quarter shafts on a 1988 FBC. Would you mind sharing the stern tube diameter size, if you know it off hand? Thanks!
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

mark

I believe it was 1.75 and i purchased them from go2marine.com

I'll get the part number for them if you want when i get home this afternoon i still have the original boxes they came in.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I have 1 1/8 shafts and used 2" fiberglass tube. I forget if glass is measured inner or outer diameter. Better to go as big as possible with glass tube for corresponding PSS seal. Allows more adjustment. Are you re-doing your tubes or using stock components? Depending on how much room you have installation is very tight on a 28. With my velvet drives, the stainless collar that butts to the graphite was actaully within about 1/4 inch of the coupler. Makes for difficult assembly. This of course is just my .02. From what I understand no two boats are the same and yours may be easier to do. I have pictures if you need them.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Kevin & Scooter. Thanks for the info. The tank is out for replacement so I am hoping that will make the job a bit easier. The boat is original with the 1 1/4 shafts. Appreciate the help.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I decided to use gore packing instead of the dripless. This stuff is incredable. Low friction, lasts for years and eccentially dripless and doesn't scar the shaft. I've run with it for three years and only adjust about twice a season. It's industrial packing. Its hard to find, need to call the company to find a dealer around your area. Here is the link http://www.emarineinc.com/products/gfop ... cking.html Highly recommend for simplicity vs going with the dripless especially if your shaft is not centered well in the shaft log as mine is.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

rick glad to hear you figured out what to use. i was able to get my shafts centered in the hole and i'm also using the original bronze units. Don't remember if i've talked to you before but i noticed you're in solomons i'm right across the bridge in hollywood if you'd like to see the dripless units or anything else for that matter.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hey, Scooter. thanks for the invite. I actually slip my boat in town creek down the road from reliable marine. Did you replace your tank yet? I just finished my drawings and am having Randy from CMF fabricate.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

i know exactly were you're at i have already removed my tank and in process of relining it. I don't have the money to get a new one made.