Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

LCS-5 USS Milwaukee Launch sea trials

Post by Navatech »

Talk about a wet boat...

Chanse

Re: LCS-5 USS Milwaukee Launch sea trials

Post by Chanse »

The dumb asses from Marinette Marine and the Navy that did sea trials after launch, in of all places, Green bay on a holiday weekend
damaged a lot of lesser sized craft. In a previous launch with another ship they drove a friends boat that was tied up to a small island
high and dry totally destroyed, fortunaly as it flew in the air he and his guest were not in the path. They most likely would
of been killed from the huge wake.

"The U.S. Coast Guard and Department of Natural Resources are investigating a Labor Day weekend incident in Door County’s Chambers Island that damaged more than 40 boats.

Witnesses said on Saturday at least 100 boats were docked near the Northern Cove of Chambers Island when a large naval ship from Marinette Marine that did a test run, creating waves that were higher than five feet tall.

The Coast Guard confirmed that the ship was the USS Milwaukee, a 378-foot-long Freedom-Class Littoral Combat Ship (LCS).

When it passed, videos show people struggling to keep their boats from tipping. One boater told Action 2 News that his anchor lines snapped from being tossed up and around, bouncing on the surge. Many boat tie-ups (several boats roped together) collided with one another, causing scratching, damage and flooding.

One boater said the worst thing “was the fear that came with it”—families with young kids rushing them to shore, and at least four Mayday radio calls. A woman badly injured her knee while trying to help control the boat, and later went to the Oconto Hospital and Medical Center. Door County EMS said they did not transport anyone to the emergency room.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have a new computer and it says I need a plug in to see it but does not specify which one. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Rawleigh wrote:I have a new computer and it says I need a plug in to see it but does not specify which one. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Download something called Flash from Adobe...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If your running an android based system, it won't support flash.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I think they ought to redesign the blowhole in the bow! That would be annoying for the helmsman!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Rawleigh wrote:I think they ought to redesign the blowhole in the bow! That would be annoying for the helmsman!
That "blowhole" is really the top side of the anchor chain's tunnel... You can't redesign it so that it won't sometimes pick up water... The helmsman's job is NOT to look out... That's the job of the lookouts... The helmsman's job is to keep course!... Having said that, the amount of annoyance is a direct function of what system they have in place to clear the windows...

There's basically 2 systems available:
  1. Window wipers... These are not unlike the wipers on your car's windshield... They're OK depending on the circumstances...
  2. Centrifugal window inserts... These are basically a round thing installed in the middle of the glass sheet... The round piece of glass is spun very fast (and all water that lands on it is flung off)... I've yet to see these (in conditions significantly worse then those in this video) being obscured for more then a couple of tenths of a second... A bunch of pictures for this device...