Making a flybridge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Corey Mason

Making a flybridge

Post by Corey Mason »

So I have an opportunity to buy a 1965 b25 ($1500 delivered to me about 6hours; no trailer). It's a hardtop, but I really wanted the flybridge model.

I think I've asked here before and the feedback was unanimous that the hardtop is pretty much exactly the same as the flybridge, without the flybridge.

So my question is: can I just make a flybridge to go on top? If so, what's the best way to go about this? Buy a flybridge that's premade and stick it on? Fabricate one myself?

Any good articles on this? Did a quick search and didn't see much.
buzzk

Re: Making a flybridge

Post by buzzk »

I don't know how big a hurry you're in but I've seen some flybridge models that cheap. Occasionally you'll find someone taking off the flybridge to make a CC. You just have to be patient.
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

I can be patient. Been lurking for about 2 years for the right thing. And yea, I've seen the flybridge too...probably more than the actual boat. Alot of people gut em just for CC's.

Ok here's another thing...this boat is 5' from the deck to the roof of cabin. So I'll be raising that (if I go through with this boat). How difficult is this to do? How costly would it be to have all new custom windows fitted? If its pretty expensive I think I'll pull the plug on this. Didn't realize it was that short.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Corey

Not sure what you classify as expensive, but once you get into glass work, especially adding a top or raising it, I would say you might be getting into some pretty good sheckles. If you can get a 25 with a bridge for the same price and then take the money and put it into that boat, you could build yourself a nice ride.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Building a new windshield will not be cheap.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Raising the top will be expensive, especially as I assume your windows would have to be replaced (unless you plan to raise the cap as well). If it were me wanting to go this route, consider removing top and windows and adding a small tower which could be built to desired height and incorporate a helm on that instead of in a flybridge.
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

I was planning on raising the cap as well.

This is a mute point though now, as yesterday my transmission went out in my truck and I need it professionally rebuilt (not holding up when I rebuild it myself).

So that was the push I needed to decline the deal. Too much extra money/work involved when I could just buy the right model, and now my transmission.

But thanks for the info, can keep it in my back pocket for future use.

Good to know about windows being expensive!
scot

Post by scot »

I figure you are going to start looking again when funds return.

FYI.. if you need to raise the hard top, it's doable. If you are thinking about raising the cap, for more free board I assume?.. Find another model of boat you like.
Being a guy that likes to modify to meet my needs (desires) I can tell you that raising the cap is not an option on these boats, none of the lines will match, the structural integrity will be gone. In plain English, no.

Low and wide is one of the boats endearing qualities and one of the elements that makes them work.
Last edited by scot on Oct 14th, '15, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

EVERYTHING IS EXPENSIVE!! You would spend more on nitrile gloves than the cost of a new transmission for your truck. Fair warning: You will need buckets of money to attempt this project.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Sorry, I got my vernacular mixed up. No, I'm not raising the cap. Just the roof of the cabin.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Corey, Having raised a roof on Resolute I can attest that it can be done..I stopped counting $ and time..I used custom jigs for the cabin and roof, overlayed with foam, covered in glass, lots of fairing and sanding, did I mention lots of fairing and sanding..if your still reading this and you have a never say quit work ethic..build your boat your way!! If not buy the boat that fits you best and never look back.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

The higher you go, the less stable the ride.
Raising the height of hardtop + adding a flybridge would have a diminishing safety factor at speed too.
Does/did the boat you're considering not have the center line drop down in the cockpit area under the hardtop?
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

I still check here for any information that I can use in the future.

Id be raising it about 1ft to make a total of 6ft. I really don't think the stability or safety would be much of an issue at all. It's obvious that putting a 40' tower on a 20' boat is unsafe...but I don't think it's gonna make much difference.

I'm basically just changing the b25 hardtop into the b25 mark II sportfisher. The only difference in the two is the cabin height and flybridge. And I'm sure Bertram wouldn't have produced something that wasnt safe.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Corey Mason wrote:I can be patient. Been lurking for about 2 years for the right thing. And yea, I've seen the flybridge too...probably more than the actual boat. Alot of people gut em just for CC's.

Ok here's another thing...this boat is 5' from the deck to the roof of cabin. So I'll be raising that (if I go through with this boat). How difficult is this to do? How costly would it be to have all new custom windows fitted? If its pretty expensive I think I'll pull the plug on this. Didn't realize it was that short.
Corey are you measuring 5' from the cockpit or the drop down in the center under the top?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

From the cockpit (regular deck height) not the drop down.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Have you been on a 25? The drop down makes it pretty comfy IMO
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
captbone

Post by captbone »

Being tall myself I always dreamed of raising the cabin of my 25ft Bertram. I never did for several reason but one of them was not wanting to ruin the original lines of the boat.

Spending hours looking at it, I cam to the conclusion that I would drop the floor lower instead of raising the roof. You would need to modify the deck and stringers but I figured the would be easier vs messing with the lines of the boat and attempting to make it look right. I figured that I could change the berthing as well to something more useful as well. I even though of moving the door for the berth to the side instead of center.

Something to think about.
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

I actually have never been on a b25. Actually I've nvr personally seen one. Only alot of research and picture drooling.

I plan on taking the boat down to the stringers during restore anyways, so I could drop the floor. Question, when you're standing on the aft deck, and say fishing so you're leaning over the side....where does the rail hit your legs?

I was on a boat one time, and it hit right on the top of my knees; was the most uncomfortable boat I've ever fished. This would be another reason to raise roof vs lower floor.

Basically, I was going to raise roof because I've heard of alot of people complain about having to duck all the time, or hitting their head all the time.
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Corey, this boat might be close to what you are thinking? It is a 25 with single diesel. Don't know anything about it but the guy posted on a thread I have.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale- ... sel-1.html
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Well...it's somewhat close to the end product I suppose. Beautiful for sure. But even if I hit the lottery I'd refuse to buy a boat (or anything really) that was already finished. I get as much joy (maybe more) building something myself than actually using it.

The transmission shop called and said they can't find anything wrong at all with the tranny I rebuilt. I explained a little more and he said he'd check again, but we'll see.