Headliner Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Headliner Question

Post by John F. »

I made new headliner panels out of 3/8" A/C exterior ply. It'll get coated in epoxy. Then, from what I've read here, I'm going to use foam-backed vinyl to cover the panels. I have two questions I could use some help on

1. Does the foam hold moisture? The v-berth and salon headliners seldom get wet, but then again, everything in Crows Nest has gotten wet at one time or another. The other option is to f'glass or Formica and paint.

2. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention (i.e., had my head up my...) and the "C" side of the ply is the face side for the headliner. If I use the foam, will the "C" surface show through? Should I make a new panel and be sure to use the "A" side, or epoxy and fair the "C" side, before using the foam/vinyl? If I go with Formica, will the "C" side show through that?

Any other help/suggestions appreciated.

I have the interior on Crows Nest all built out. My plan is to take it apart, and finish it in the garage over the winter.

Thanks-

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
bbtiller

Re: Headliner Question

Post by bbtiller »

I did mine similarly,
1. The foam does not appear to hold moisture, but there is definitely condensation above the liner on the underside of the bow deck. I would like to figure out a way to resolve that; maybe someone in the sandbox could offer some advice to resolve an issue for me and prevent you from having the same. Maybe some type of vents??

2. I don't think you will have any issue with the "C" side telegraphing through, the foam backed vinyl hides alot of rough spots. I used it to cover the hull sides in the V-berth and it worked well.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

John-
I'm considering doing the same project this winter. I think the panels presently (original?) in my boat are at best 1/4 inch ply. Does 3/8 ply provide a benefit/
Best and thanks,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

I re-used the original and they are 1/4". John could tell you since he has 3/8" but there's some bending that has to be done to get them in and out so the thinner may be more manageable.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I concur with keeping it thinner----I tried a thicker material with formica and I cracked it trying to get it in place.

Threw it in the dumpster and started again.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I used 3/8" because the 1/4" the lumber yard had was luan that awful, and the place that has nice marine 1/4" was closed (and its expensive). I'm also planning on bolting overhead rod holders to the panels and didn't think the extra thickness would hurt. The again, I used 1/4" last time, and through-bolted rod holders, and didn't have any problems. I really don't see any advantage to using 3/8", and don't really see any disadvantage.

The salon panels go in pretty easy. The v-berth panels, whether 1/4" or 3/8", on both my B31s, have been a major PIA to get in place. That's why I made the v-berth overheads into basically 5 sections instead of the 3 that's OEM. Now they're really easy to get in and out, and look fine (to me).
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm sorry this is a little off topic but has anyone considered streching canvas as a headliner with snaps or a zipper? It would seem to be much easier, whenever I need to pull down the headliner, more so in the salon area, it's a PITA.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I think if u could bend the laminate to conform with the hardtop ,it would contribute to more moisture retention, no breath ability and holding this semi rigid laminated headliner to the underside of the cabin top may be a chore. 1/4" coosa with foam backed vinyl is lite, bendable and non moisture absorbent ,at least the coosa. I have had to drop my headliner panel many times for various servicing issues, no evidence of mold/mildew and my boat is is in south Florida