Gelcoat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

makomike1

Gelcoat

Post by makomike1 »

Need help gelcoating a few scratches on a 1973 28 bert original gelcoat. Can someone direct me as to where I can get gelcoat of the same color or as close as possible to the color I have. The scracthes are down to just about down to the glass, not real big but they are scratches, one scratch is tomany.
Thanks for any help
Michael
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mike,

Try Butler Marine... The make swim platforms, pulpits, and other items specifically designed for B31s and so have gelcoats to match. Not sure how receptive they will be, but worth a try. I know they've sold gelcoat to folks that have bought one of their other items.

http://butlermarine.com/

Br,

Patrick
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

A couple of years ago I was able to get some from Richard Kidd at Bertram for my old B28. You might want to try them as well.

Jon
capy

Post by capy »

Our B31 was regelcoated with Cook's armour all gelcoat, and after 10 years still looks like new.
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

I was able to buy a quart of pre-mixed gel-coat from Butler. They are really not set up to do this kind of thing and here is the kicker, Bertram used 4 different colors in the 70's. Butler sent me a set of paint chips to match the color on when I got my swim platform. After I bought the platform I also asked them to send me a quart of gel-coat. They charged me (can't remember what the cost was) but the match was great.

-Chiles
BillinFI

Mini-Craft in Florida

Post by BillinFI »

Try http://www.minicraft.com/aboutus.htm. These folks are the real deal and have a very helpful staff able and willing to answer questions. I used Cooks Composites gel coat with Dura Tec in it I bought from Composites One in RI, but there are lots of ways to use gel coat to fill dings and scratches. In fact, that is why I put new gelcoat on my 25 hull topsides rather than Awl Grip paint. I used paint on the deck and the cockpit because I needed non-skid and had lots of corners - hard to do in a gel coat rehab job. But over time, you can do spot repairs with gel ocat - no problem and polish out minor belmishes.
makomike1

Gelcoat

Post by makomike1 »

Thanks for all your help. I was able to get some from minicraft.
Thanks
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

I mix my own but it may take 3-4 times to get the right tint. So the best method is to buy it premixed if you can as refered here. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
makomike1

Gel coat

Post by makomike1 »

Thanks Capt. dave. By the way how did everything work out for you? The filter and all.
Mike