Advice needed - securing bow seating

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CamB25

Advice needed - securing bow seating

Post by CamB25 »

The bow seating module in the this picture needs to become part of the boat. I had originally planned to keep it loose through paint, but the logistics don't work and I need to design a curved piece that will close the gap between the seat and the cap. The bow seating module is coosa glassed with epoxy (underside as well). The deck is coosa glassed with poly and partially filled with gel coat. My draft plan is to screw the module to the deck and bulkhead and seal/glue to the deck with XXXX ????? What would you recommend?

Some options:
Thickened Epoxy - $$$
Hull and deck putty?
3M 5200?
3M 4000?
Poly-bond B46F

I need some open time to position the piece. The cap will be off the boat and the bow seating will be suspended using some homemade gantry contraption..(tbd) so I can coat both surfaces and lower the piece into place.

Current thought is a hybrid approach - use thickened epoxy around the perimeter (where the screws will clamp to the deck) and fill the "field" with troweled 5200 or equiv. This gives me enough open time to place the piece and epoxy along the edge will permit me to pull a filet where the seating mates to the deck to give it a finished look.

your thoughts?

thanks!
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Bob H.

Re: Advice needed - securing bow seating

Post by Bob H. »

Cam, I used plexus adhesive to do my "structural" bonding, the glass will break before that stuff cuts loose. I would then make a nice filet on the outside and a bigger filet on the inside with some 1708 tabbing just to make it bulletproof. Probably overkill but that's just how I do things lol. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Probably overkill but that's just how I do things
That's why you're one of my heros, Bob...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Thanks Capt. Pat, you set the bar high the rest of us are just trying to keep up. If we follow your lead in 50 years there will still be a bunch of 31s running circles around new boats. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?