yanmar question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

yanmar question

Post by JohnCranston »

I just talked to a guy who knows someone thats trying to sell a pair of Yanmar 325 hp LY STE with gears and gauge package. He said they were 1 year old and never started. The guy was rebuilding his B31 bahia mar and gave up and bought a new boat. He wants $40k for the engine package. I hear all kinds of good stuff on the 315 hp LP series. What about the LY's?

Thanks.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
John F.

Post by John F. »

I don't know if this is helpful, but at the AC Boat Show I was given a price of under $20K per for the 315 Yanmars w/gears.

John F.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

John,

Thanks for your response. I think that I'll pass on these. My local Yanmar dealer is several $$$ higher than the one in AC.I'll keep looking.

Thanks.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,

The LY series is what was installed in buddy boy.

It was a 315hp and discontinued when the LP came out.
Its the same engine as the 370, 420 and 440 hp engines.

It is a beefier, lower rpm engine than the LP. Its the big brother of the 4LH series with 2 more cylinders.

The engines probably have been sitting for 3 or 4 years since the production stopped right when buddy boy was being done.

Very good price.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Bruce,

Why did they discontinue the 315 LY? Do you prefer it over the LP? Don't mean to pick your brain so much, I'm trying to make the right decision, and, for living in such a big city like I do, the local knowledge seems limited.

Thanks
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

John , of course it's limited you live in txASS, and me I'm in mASS a chew sis
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If the LY left for the same reasons as the B series mechanical it would have been emmissions driven.
The engine companies would be happy to build all the stuff they are already tooled up for its government requirements that force the changes. You seen the new Cummins engines in the RAM pickup. Can you say DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Don't pop a turbo and get oil in that thing, big $$$$$$$$.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Jp, I can tell you for certain I will not be hooking up with you on sun. I've made my decision, or at least Kathi has. (hey maybe while they be at church we could do bloodies on you boat, just don't tell Neil cause you know he's a big old blabber)
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
The LY/315 went away because Yanmar came out with the LP/315 and they didn't need two engines with the same hp.

LP is quieter, lighter, more fuel efficent and was designed for an easier replacement for the big block gas. Because it is higher speed, some applications don't need a shaft upgrade thus saving money.

While I really like the LP's, I would rather have the LY series in my boat.