Missing 14 year olds in Florida

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

TailhookTom

Missing 14 year olds in Florida

Post by TailhookTom »

A 19 foot Seacraft and they were possibly headed to the Bahamas -- one more example of the Darwin principle. They had no floatplan, the coast guard has now searched 25,000 square miles, their parents say there are very experienced boaters "who never go far from shore, and are very knowledgeable and resourceful."

I will admit, I did know everything when I was 14, and my judgment was just as rock solid as theirs. However, when are parents going to be parents? I see great examples at my marina -- we have 182 slips, most of which are occupied by outboard powered salt water fishing boats (marina is a large GW dealer and 80% of the boats are GW from 20-37). I see many parents teaching their kids safe boating operations all the time, some of the "kids" on our dock are close to Neil's JR in terms of boat handling, experience and judgment. Then again, we also had a knucklehead this weekend that had his 3 kids (all under 8) sitting between the bowrail and the boat -- with their legs over the bow -- while dad was running around in the marina, fueling up and just being a moron-- he didn't accept common sense well anyhow.

And, not to judge, but Palm Beach money, Joe Nameth is their next door neighbor, and there was no EPIRB on board? Seriously, can't spring $500 bucks and possible find the kids quickly? That boat was almost 70 miles from the inlet due to the tide I'm sure. The left Friday at noon and the capsized hull was found Sunday morning -- so tragic.

Okay, rant over.

Tom
Joseph Fikentscher

Re: Missing 14 year olds in Florida

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

I fully agree.

I was boating early but not out of my parents sight and earshot. At 14 we were smarter but I would never be allowed out of our area of the bay. At 20 that was a different story, but had been running a 30' boat under supervision since I was 10. My father always sat back and let me run the boat as he watched and guided, from Manasquan to Canada, and all over in between. 14 year olds need parenting, not complete freedom.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

From what i'm hearing down here, kids weren't supposed to go out the inlet. Parents are just in defense mode about their kids hoping to get them back.

Another case of kids disobeying the rules only this time with apparent deadly consequences. While they were very experienced by all the comments apparently the one important thing that should always be checked before heading out this time of year is the weather.

No they weren't very experienced after all and made bad choices. But they were 14 year olds.

No PB money. Namath the creepy old man lives in Jupiter.

I hope and pray they get a mulligan on this one.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

At one point we all were 14 and did something stupid that could have killed us. Still hoping for a miracle or dumb luck.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
captbone

Post by captbone »

God forbid any of us get what we deserve for the foolish things that we have done in our youth.

There is still hope for their safe return.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hey we all know the story since we have all been there. One brave sole eggs on the other to take the boat outside for better fishing. It looked safe, right, even as adults with common sense, some times we have regretted our decisions.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

At one point we all were 14 and did something stupid that could have killed us. Still hoping for a miracle or dumb luck.
Well said Peter.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nowadays with the available technology, so inexpensive, kids in a boat should have tracking...hell anyone in a boat should have tracking.
Maybe this is a wake up call for many boaters to equip themselves better.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Good post to discuss best EPIRB available on a budget (under$500). Any suggestions?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

My brother bought one of these recently. https://www.acrartex.com/products/catal ... RdP9Y.dpbs
He's very technical and thrifty...
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

The one Steve linked above is $269 at Wurst Marine.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.boemarine.com/acr-globalfix- ... rb-cat-ii/

Dave

I picked this one up last year, it is just under $500. For about $100 more they have a new model that may or may not be worth it.

I purchased from BOE, because they did have the best price, plus they opened up a shop in NJ about 30 minutes from were I keep the boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

If you buy at the discount store (or anywhere, really), make sure that the battery is fresh. They have a 5 year shelf life, so saving 20% for one that has been sitting around for a year is really no saving at all.

That said, I have one that expired 8 years ago and still tests OK.

Be prepared…….

No matter what sort of bullshit sales-speak they give you, by the time your battery ages out, odds are that they won't make that one any more. So they're kind of like flares in that you just keep buying new ones and keep the old ones around, just in case. I have two now, and will need another one next year.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

mike ohlstein wrote:I have one that expired 8 years ago and still tests OK.
It's possible to get the batteries on-line... And, it's possible (rather easy I've been told) to change the batteries yourself... And it saves heaps of money... However, if you're operating your boat commercially such a battery change is not "certified"...

FWIW, I carry a PLB on my person, I have a PLB packed into my raft and I have an auto release EPIRB installed on the boat itself...
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

When it comes to my personal safety, the beancounter in me jumps out the window-okay gets shoved out the window, it is kind of the same logic as buying a bulletproof vest or parachute from the lowest cost provider.

I like this unit from defender marine -- it is what I put on my pursuit -- my life is worth more than saving a few hundred. Note, I got a Category II as I literally didn't have the space to put the Category I in a space that it wouldn't be in the way -- besides -- if my EPIRB ever needs to be deployed -- it will be firmly affixed to my armpit.

Tom

ACR GlobalFix PRO GPS EPIRB
Cat II

New Lower Price!

•Type: Category II - Unit Must Be Manually Released from Bracket

•Battery: Manufacturer Replaceable Non-hazmat Lithium

•If You Use It, ACR Will Replace It Free of Charge

Item #:

Brand:
ACR

Model #:

Shipping Weight:
3.25 Lbs.

List Price:
$622.00

See All ACR Products

Our Price:
$419.99

moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

On the topic of safety... what do you guys carry for a life raft? I'm thinking of purchasing a 6 person in a valise. At ~$1,600 it isn't cheap, but I'll be using the boat with my wife and young children and want the peace of mind. What's everyone else's take?
Max
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

moguls2go wrote:On the topic of safety... what do you guys carry for a life raft? I'm thinking of purchasing a 6 person in a valise. At ~$1,600 it isn't cheap, but I'll be using the boat with my wife and young children and want the peace of mind. What's everyone else's take?

I have a hard case, 6 man Viking. Not cheap at all. Bought it at the Lauderdale boat show, and perhaps saved a few bucks.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Ocean in south Florida is usually pretty (very) flat in the summer.
Seacraft is a good solid seaworthy (if maintained) boat.
Kids that grow up in waterfront and boating families can be VERY capable at young ages.
At 14, you tend to have more balls than brains in some scenarios.
There's lots of fish to be caught within a few miles of shore or inside of the inlet.

All of that said .... I have, my son has and most of you/us have all had some crazy "God please let me live through this, I'll never be this stupid again" episodes.

I pray for their safe return......the boat was floating, you stay with the boat !!

I ask the guy above to "please give 'em another chance" ......
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I cannot imagine what those families are going through! It is a long shot now, but I hope they are OK.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

moguls2go wrote:On the topic of safety... what do you guys carry for a life raft? I'm thinking of purchasing a 6 person in a valise. At ~$1,600 it isn't cheap, but I'll be using the boat with my wife and young children and want the peace of mind. What's everyone else's take?
If you are not chartering, I like Winslow for a valise due to the light weight. But Revere, Viking are all good. If you put the valise in a spot that you can grab it, it sure beats trying to go forward in 8 ft seas on a boat in trouble.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Rawleigh wrote:I cannot imagine what those families are going through! It is a long shot now, but I hope they are OK.
I can't imagine how those families feel .....
Lots of "I never shoulda" and "I wish I hadn't" ....uugghh
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I remember a time when I was 15 and was fighting a nice Jack inside the San Juan Bay (Puerto Rico) right beside El Morro Fort in a 18' Boston Whaler on a beautiful Summer flat seas afternoon waiting for my friend's father to come in through the inlet in his Bertram 54 from marlin fishing, when an 8' rouge wave crashed on the boat's twin Yamaha 90's. An angel kept those engines running and all of us ran to the bow except the owner of the boat (14 at the time) who slammed the throttle and the water came off the aft. This happened in about 3 to 5 seconds. That day I learned the hard way of always been mindful of the position of the boat when fishing. Also, I don't think we would have made it if it wasn't a BW. Boating and fishing are dangerous hobbies and sports. So many things can go wrong and all we can do is reduce potential dangerous situations but we cannot avoid them all.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

I have a 6 person raft in a hard case and auto release on the fore deck...