Anyone know this 31 in Rhode Island?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

Anyone know this 31 in Rhode Island?

Post by moguls2go »

Does anyone know this boat?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1969/Be ... agMUXiFsyF

Most of the photos focus on the cabin- it's hard to tell what type of shape it's actually in. Anyone have any idea?
Max
Bob H.

Re: Anyone know this 31 in Rhode Island?

Post by Bob H. »

I'm in Rhode Island but haven't seen this 31. Looks clean and Hunter Scott has done a few top shelf rehabs. He now builds custom cabinets, great wood worker. If it is something you want me to look at drop me a line I can give it a once over.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Thanks for the offer Bob. I think I'll take a drive down on Saturday and have a look. If you're in the area an extra opinion is welcome, but please don't make a special trip.
Max
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have seen that boat posted on here before. I just can not remember when. It was some time ago.

The ad says it is a 69, but below in the description they call it a Silver Anniversary edition. Verify the year. If it does not have a hull number on the transom that is molded in, there is no way it was produced after 1972. The Silver Anniversary was produced in the 80's. I believe they only made 25 of them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Wow-
That looks excellent! Good luck.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
scot

Post by scot »

I thought all the Silver Anniversary boats had 3208 CATs?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Can anyone recommend a surveyor in the area? I looked this morning and it's promising, but I'd like someone to have it surveyed.

Also, the deck on this boat needs to be replaced- it's teak and flexes noticeably under foot. I'm not sure how massive a job that is; any thoughts and/or ballpark pricing would help!
Max
dcasey10

Post by dcasey10 »

New cockpit sole and sub deck, new tank (2500$ alone for tank) will run 12-15k depending on the fit and finish done at a quality yard from the quotes I have been seeing for my on deck replacement. Also figure in some more money for all the sub deck stuff, from wiring to plumbing and maybe new grounding system.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

moguls2go wrote:Can anyone recommend a surveyor in the area? I looked this morning and it's promising, but I'd like someone to have it surveyed.

Also, the deck on this boat needs to be replaced- it's teak and flexes noticeably under foot. I'm not sure how massive a job that is; any thoughts and/or ballpark pricing would help!

A flexible deck can be as simple to fix as a few new stringers. $200 for the wood and the hardware.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

You have both ends of the spectrum.

Guess it depends on whether your doing the work or somebody else.

If you have access, the uprights from stringers to deck frame are what went on my boat...a bunch of dry rotted 1x3's needed to be replaced. I had wood panel decking that was easily removed and I used the rotted timbers as a template as i went along. I went with fiberglass u-channel as I hate wood...but the wood made it thru 40-years so would have been fine to just replace.

As mentioned...when deck is out...well I decided to replace wood panel deck with a fiberglass deck..saw so rottting bulkheads, replaced those...couple hoses and wiring. At that time the fiberglass tank was considered "lifetime" so that was fine...Put it all back together knowing that was the last time I'd ever need to go back in there again....
...but the next year we found that the fiberglass tanks and ethanol did not play nice together. Tank started to dissolve with ethanol fuel, so it all needed to be removed again and tank came out...

Teak Deck...depends how it was put in. Removable or have access to rotting supports and could be inexpensive and quick...need to start cutting...the story changes...guess that is where a good surveyor comes in handy.

...one thing..whatever you buy, you'll be dumping money into it. At least a 31 you stand a chance of seeing some of that coming back...aside from the fact you'll have the Best boat Ever Made.

Good luck,
Carl
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

moguls2go wrote:Also, the deck on this boat needs to be replaced- it's teak and flexes noticeably under foot. I'm not sure how massive a job that is; any thoughts and/or ballpark pricing would help!
Flex in a teak deck and flex in a (cored) fiberglass deck are two very different things... In the former it's most probably just a question of adding support in the right place(s)... In the latter it's indicative of a rotten core... The latter will have to be replaced or re-cored...
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Moguls-
I concur with the comments above.
But you asked for a surveyor... Jeffrey Stone 401-851-2041 http://azimuthmarinesurvey.com/ has done surveys for me on wooden boats and before/after on a repair to a rotted bulkhead behind the engines (where my deck is anchored) in my B31. I know he is no stranger to teak and teak decks.
Newport is full of shipwrights and guys who know more about fastening teak than fiberglass itch. I'm pleased to be of assistance any way I can. PM me if you would like to discuss this more.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Thanks for all of these responses. I hope to be working with Steve Bunnell as a surveyor, who was recommended by a friend here in Portsmouth. Hopefully support is the issue, that would certainly help us over the next few years as we get acquainted with the boat. In addition to the deck I'm very curious to see how the motors run- I hope to agree on price here in the next day or two and then do the survey and sea trial later this week. Adding to the complexity, my wife is due with our second child in 3 weeks... Nothing like organizing a boat purchase amid the chaos of adding a second kid. What do you think about 'Chaos Theory' as a boat name????
Max
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

I favor "Entropy."