Marina Experts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

clay

Marina Experts

Post by clay »

I kicked one of the horses out of a double stall and backed in "PROUD CUT" for some much needed repairs.

Man what a show at the Marina, every pirate and boat expert came by to tell me that my trailer was to small, my boat was to big, my props would hit the ground, I should remove the windscreen (a bird might hit it and break it). I even had one guy tell me what color to paint the boat (jet black with lime green stripes) I was amazed at the amount of advice I was given but not one person offered to help me get the 1/2 tower off and into the stern, $20 was all it took to get two shrimpers to lend a hand, funny thing they did not have any advice and my instructions were followed to the letter (although Im not sure they could spell).

I need help locating:

1ea - 1 3/8" Strut for B31 (the port side looks to be a cheap replacement made of 100% copper it is so badly pitted that the cutlass bearing set screws are eaten away, there is about a 1/2 inch pitted hole where the sets used to be).

If anyone has an original bronz strut please let me know what it would take to get it on its way to TEXAS.

Thanks Clay
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Clay,

Welcome to the wonderful world of marina know-it-alls. I've been a member at my yacht club since 1990, but I essentially grew up there as my Dad has been a member since the early 50's and has been the yard master for about 45 years.

Every spring its the same thing:

"Why are you doing it that way?"

"I don't use XYZ expensive brand of ABC, and my boat looks great!" (Sure it does.)

"You're wasting you're time."

Etc...

After so many years, I just ignore people and yes them to death.
Regards,

Doug L.
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

I did my sea trial yesterday after a year in the shed and after doing a total refit, repower, repaint, re-chrome and de-wallet. I have learned that the hardest thing when rebuilding your boat is listening enough to the people who you should listen to and not listening too much to the people who you shouldn't listen to. Telling them apart, remarkably, really ain't that hard.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

john,

i was at Carvers last week and saw your boat in the shop--nice work.

can you share your #'s on the sea trial.

good luck.
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

I will try and get the actual data sheets from the Cummins reps. It was 29.2kts top end and about 26 cruise. Came out of the hole like a rocket, I couldn't believe it.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

John,

Which Cummins did you wind up going with?
Regards,

Doug L.
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

270B
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I am re-powering my 33 with RTO 300hp 6BTA's this winter. I'll be running 21x22 3 blades with a cup on ZF 220 1.53:1. What gears and props are you using?
Regards,

Doug L.
thereheis

struts

Post by thereheis »

clay i will be coming back in a week or so i'll bring my old struts back with me.they are what you need. call me 361-533-2796
phil
Brianb

Post by Brianb »

If the set mentioned above does nto work for you, send me a email. I have a storage room down in the area that has a bunch of stuff, and should include a couple of sets of struts. I will not be down there for 2-3 weeks.

Brian
713-398-7764
thereheis

marina experts

Post by thereheis »

clay i will be heaaded back to port a around thursday or friday .i have the struts,shafts,rigger bases, swim platform and brackets,radio box bridge ladder and mounts,,,

phil
Jimbo

struts

Post by Jimbo »

Clay I got a pair at Weber and SPID if you need em'. Send me an email
thereheis

marina experts

Post by thereheis »

jimbo what are you gonna with your retirement project ???wait till you are in a wheel chair or what ???

phil
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

May put it in the backyard and fill it with water.....kids keep wanting a pool. Just got a trailer for it ...it is now in the boatyard to fill the holes