Hatch maker identification requested

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Hatch maker identification requested

Post by Navatech »

Hi, I'm hoping somebody will be able to identify the maker of this hatch (installed on a 1985 46' Bertram)... I need some spare parts...

Side:

Rear:

Front:

Front scoop:

Inside detail:

Sorry, no semi helpful labels...

Thanks in advance for any and all help!...
Tony Meola

Re: Hatch maker identification requested

Post by Tony Meola »

Nav

Almost looks like it was a one off custom made probably by the prior owner.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Navatech,
Looks like a custom built hatch modified by one of your previous owners. I ran a 46-6 back in the mid to late 70's and it doesn't look like an original Bertram hatch to me. Most of the hardware for the early Bertram's was supplied by either Perko or Wilcox-Chritten (spelling?). The hatch dogs look like OEM Bertram Perkos along with the hatch openers, the handle looks like some other brand. I had the same type slide openers with the black knobs and hatch dogs on my 31 express windshield and lower opening front windows. You might be able to find some parts at a marine hardware surplus shop like Sailorman in Lauderdale or Marine Exchange in Ft Pierce. Maybe someone that has taken out the front windows on a 31 might have some old slides and dogs lying around. Also check with Glen at L&H Boats 3350 SE Slater St. in Stuart, Fl. 34997 (772-288-2291 office), he does a lot of Bertram conversions. Good luck.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,
I don't know if they are custom, what I remember is that I have seen them before; either on a B 42 or a Chris-Craft 42.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

These are definitely Bertram OEM... I have seen them on all 42' & 46' Bertrams that have seen... And, you can just make them out (without much detail) on some Bertram PR material that I have...

Basically the hatch has two parts... The "seat" and the "cover"... The "seat" is an integral part of the deck... The "cover" is made out of several parts but each is a relatively simple FRP or aluminum item. Since I have posted the question and pictures on several web sites and nobody responded I'm thinking Bertram made these in-house (or farmed it out to a sub contractor)... After all, the "seat" is part of the deck mold and two additional small molds plus some aluminum parts (some assembly required) would complete the "cover"...

I'm going to search for the hardware (which is really what I need) based on the leads provided by Pete... I'll also check with Hightide Marine if they might have the hardware...
Dug

Post by Dug »

Nav,

The side slides that hold the hatch open are the same on the B31.

I know its crazy, but might you benefit from changing to an upgraded new hatch altogether? I know that may mean glasswork, and so on, but it would/could result in improved use, light, etc. The 46' is such a solid awesome boat, it might be worthwhile...

Perko looks like much of the hardware to my untrained eye.

Maybe Danny over at High Tide can help. Good luck!

Dug
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Dug wrote:I know its crazy, but might you benefit from changing to an upgraded new hatch altogether? I know that may mean glasswork, and so on, but it would/could result in improved use, light, etc.
Maybe in the future... Right now I want to get her going... The shape of the hatches isn't rectangular... It's trapezoid (the rear side is longer then the front side and the front side has a V shape to it... So it's either custom hatches or rebuild the hatch opening to match an existing hatch...
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

It looks like the very same hatch on my B28 but appears to have been modified - I don't have the wind scoop on mine.