Heavier Motors on a B26

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jprobins

Heavier Motors on a B26

Post by jprobins »

I have a 1983 Bertram 26.6 II Sport Convertible factory outboard that I'm about to repower with V6 4 strokes (old ones were 2 strokes). This means about 200 - 220 additional lbs on the stern. The boat has dry weight of about 5100 lbs. I'm looking at Suzuki 225s (old ones were Yamaha 200s). Do y'all think the added weight is likely to cause any sort of problem?
Jim Robinson

Motu Iti
1983 26.6 II Sport Convertible (outboard)
Pete Fallon

Re: Heavier Motors on a B26

Post by Pete Fallon »

JPRobins,
Why don't you look into the New Evinrude 2225-250 range. less weight than the 4 stroke Yamahas( 854 lbs each) plus lots of import taxes. The new Evinrude motors have been completely redone from the old OMC and early Bombarier models. Just a suggestion, from a former boat builder, a pair of 250 Yamaha 4 strokes is like putting 4 extra people on the transom. The 26 Bertram needs as much power as possible to get her up out of the hole.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
jprobins

Post by jprobins »

Actually, I was looking at the Suzuki 225s.
Jim Robinson

Motu Iti
1983 26.6 II Sport Convertible (outboard)
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Or add a bracket as that will give you additional buoyancy.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Jim,

I'm sorry I don't have much information to add, but please keep posting as you move forward. I have the same B26 model and I will be looking at repowering hopefully next year. I bought it as a project, but too many other irons in the fire right now to even think about it.

I have also looked at the Suzuki 200s and 225s. I have a Suzuki 140 on my bay boat as does my fishing partner and they have been very trouble free. The 200 is the same block just more HP. I've also had a suggestion to go with twin Suzuki 175s but I'd worry about if that was enough HP. However based on the comment below by Jeff in your other post, maybe the 175s wouldn't be too bad.

"I have a b26II with Yamaha f150s. 26 knot Cruise @4000rpm wot 41 knots."

As far as the weight, the Suzuki brochure has the 225 at 580 lbs each. The boat I bought had mid 1990 200HP Ocean Runners and the weight I've found for those was 455 lbs each. So an additional 125 lbs each, or 250 lbs total. I don't know for sure if those numbers are accurate but at 250 lbs that doesn't seem too bad if that's correct.

Good luck, and if you don't mind post up the direction you go. I'll be interested.

Danny
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I can't imagine an extra 250 lbs on the transom will make any difference at all to the trim of the boat. That's like adding me and cooler of beer to the boat. A careful check of the transom core is probably in order to ensure it is still solid (I assume they used a plywood core like on the B25s).

You might consider a big single in place of the twins - less weight, less drag, less $$, probably higher top end, etc.

Does your boat have a splash well? Do you have any issues with water coming over the back with the current setup? Just curious as a cut down transom with a single 300 is still part of my list of possible power options from my B25.

Good Luck!
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Peter

Post by Peter »

I don't think a few hundred pounds aft on an outboard B-26 will make much difference. Ther is a LOT of hull in the water aft on these deep V's and a couple of hundred pounds won't change trim much.

A transom bracket moves the weight even further aft. Not necessarily a good thing on a Bertram, but some have done it.

If you have a 25 or 26 with outdrives seriously consider a cut down transom and outboards.
There is nothing wrong with outdrives other than the way Mec builds them. But the way Merc builds them is a serious problem.
When a 100+ HP outboard was only a dream there wasn't much choice. Big power and lift up legs meant outdrive...
Now there is plenty of choice.

Peter