Awlgrip help

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

msteimer
Standing Member

Awlgrip help

Post by msteimer »

Guys,

I'm getting close to hitting the first milestone for my 35 project of getting all rotten wood replaced and major glasswork done. It's time to start thinking about paint! Problem is, I have no experience with awlgrip, or any painting for that matter other than the house interior. The majority of the boat is crazed up pretty bad and I've removed most of the gelcoat down to really thin layers, and in some cases all the way to glass (only in the cockpit for now).

Just for giggles I bought some 545 to cover some of the filling work I did in the cockpit. It quickly made me realize how little i knew and how big of a job it will be to roll and tip the whole boat. So I have a bunch of questions I was hoping some of the paint experts here could help with.

First, anyone know of a reputable shop in the upper chesapeake bay area that would be willing to help paint. I've called around to a bunch of places and haven't got much interest.

Some other tech questions:
Do I need to wash down 545 before sanding for amine blush?
Can I fill over top of the 545 with West System without sanding it all out?
After a couple coats of 545 sanded in between, can I high build with a cheap airless sprayer from Wagner or the like?

Sorry for the long post, just hoping someone can help me speed up the learning curve. Would like to get paint done by the fall so I can move on to the fun stuff!

Mark
CamB25

Re: Awlgrip help

Post by CamB25 »

Mark,

Try reading the Awlgrip manual...not a light read, but provides the "by the book" process requirements for all their products:

http://www.awlgrip.com/support-and-advi ... dance.aspx
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi