vibration

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

vibration

Post by Bill G. »

1st ride and a slight vibration at 3k rpm's and up.Checked the shafts,struts and props didn't see anything that looked like needed fixing before splashing.Can't feel anything standing at the stern over the struts but it can be felt on the bridge thinking to pull it back out and send out the props?.....TXS Bill G
Carl

Re: vibration

Post by Carl »

If you didn't pull running gear from last year I doubt anything changed over the winter....unless haul straps grabbed shafts and tweaked them for you...yard never tells you if they did.

If hull sat funky on land, your alignment may be off. Couple days in the water will bring it back.

Cutless worn?
Struts snug? Seen them loosen up.

Alignment could be off...if it changed from last year...maybe a bad engine mount...or a loose mount.
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

I did feel it the last trip of last season and figured it was a loose zinc I found I guessed wrong.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Pull the props and have them checked out. Could be out of rake and you would not see it. Poly trap line could do it or and other debris can knock a single blade out of rake. When was the last time props were looked at by a prop guy?
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

2 seasons ago
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Take a look at the shaft when you are running. If it has a wobble some thing is out. Start with the props then go from there. If not the props, then I would try shaft alignment, see John's recent thread on his questions on aligning the shafts.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

BillG,
Check your motor mounts, look for any signs of collapsed rubbers in the mounts also check under the mounts for any sign of wood rot in the stringers. Also check your cutless bearings, it could be just a bent prop blade or worse a bent shaft. When was the last time the engine and shaft coupler were aligned, they should be only .003 all around.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61