Windows

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Vyn

Windows

Post by John Vyn »

I will need to replace all the windows in my 31 soon. Any one know where I can get a complete set of Sport Fisher windows. They will need to be tempered, tinted, and hopefully fit into aluminum frames.
1972 Bertram 31 Hull 1018 "Knot Again!" - new to me July 2014
buzzk

Re: Windows

Post by buzzk »

Broadus Rose with lookout window frames makes some nice fiberglass frames and he can install any kind of glass you want in them. You can google lookout window frames or give him a call 252 723 2222.
longfin

Post by longfin »

Hi John I live in Newport as well, my boat "Fortuna" is behind my house on Northstar in the back bay. Several years ago I embarked on a fairly massive restoration including replacing the side windows with those obtained from Broadus Rose. My job may have been a little easier because at the same time I also did the solid front window insert from Glasstech out of Miami. The windows and glass frames that Broadus built for me are very high quality and fit like a glove. He is a very easy guy to work with, my only complaint is that he is 3,000 miles away ! I'm more than happy to show you the boat anytime.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have a full set of windows as well as frames here in Worcester MA. If you are interested.

:)

They were removed from my boat this fall.

Dug
John Vyn

Post by John Vyn »

Dug - Aluminum frames are fiberglass???
John Vyn

Post by John Vyn »

Longfin, I sent you a PM this morning.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Yea... Broadus frames are only 12,000.00
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

The side windows are not 12,000 that's the price for the entire window system. Front windshield, curved windows and the side windows. All frames are fiberglass and even the curved glass is real glass not plastic.
Dug

Post by Dug »

John,

Aluminum, with all glass, plexi, etc.

There is one cracked side glass piece that would need replacement. I removed all because I was going in a different direction window wise, but they were actually in pretty good shape, without gobs of rot etc.

It really would depend on the direction you are trying to take your boat long term. They could be re-finished to a degree and replace the ones in your boat and work pretty well as a result, though they were removed, so they are not represented as perfect. I just don't have the heart to throw them out if someone were to be able to use them somehow.

Every boat is different, so they may not fit your boat perfectly. But they would be useable I would think.

Its an option for sure!

Dug
John Vyn

Post by John Vyn »

Dug,
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking to get rid of the aluminum, but for now I'll probably try to refinish (prime / paint) the aluminum. $12 grand is a bunch after spending a bunch just getting the boat running.
Wursty
Standing Member

Post by Wursty »

Regarding the cracked side glass; I have a crack in the rear section of the side window installed on a FBC which is the stand up head on starboard side. How do you take out this glass section from the aluminum frame?
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Wursty,
The easiest way is to make a template with door skin, then break the old window out and replace it with plexi glass either tinted or clear. Clean out the old felt track and on a hot day put the Plexi in the sun for a few hours, or in your oven on low heat, (check with the wife before putting it in her oven), wear leather gloves and when its hot but not melted, just so it's pliable enough to bend, put into the frame, it should bend enough to go in, work it in at the forward section where the framework is the widest, Try a piece of scrap Plexi to see how much heat is needed to make it workable. You might have to use a heat gun to heat it up so it is workable, but not hot enough to melt or damage the Plexi- glass. The Plexi glass might have to be a little smaller thickness than the old safety glass which is about 3/8'' thick, But if it is warn enough 3/8" Plexi will go in. Once its into the track don't screw with it until it cools down. It helps to have 2 people when doing this job.
The other way involves removing the screws inside the old window track( which are usually corroded into the frame, they are slotted head screws, breaking the bedding compound loose from the house sides and taking the frame apart at the aft end, more screws on the outside of the framework and it's a major under taking that usually leads to (1) a broken forward window,(2) a broken aluminum frame, (3) a paint job around the window frame and fiberglass on the cabin house sides (4) a lot of swearing and cut fingers. Good luck. Our you could call Capt. Patrick or Tom Oakes and pick their brains on how to do it.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61