hardtop and flybridge comparison for b25

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Corey Mason

hardtop and flybridge comparison for b25

Post by Corey Mason »

I'm looking at this.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale- ... ost7719923

And I'm curious, what is the difference(s) in the flybridge model and hardtop? Also, is it really as simple as adding the flybridge to the hardtop to get it to mimic the flybridge? Will the hardtop be able to support the weight as the flybridge model can?

I've always loved these but really want the flybridge. Was planning to do a stringer up restore....but...the price is hard to ignore
CamB25

Re: hardtop and flybridge comparison for b25

Post by CamB25 »

I don't think there is much difference other than the flybridge mounted to the hardtop. Might be more fun to make a tower with a second control station rather than grafting a flybridge. Frees you up to be creative with the design.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Problem is, cam, I really like the design ha. Its veryvsimple and (for me) very applicable. I don't really have a need for a huge tower and I hate the look of the metal towers.

Just curious...would anybody want the motors and drives out of them or have any idea how much they are worth? Supposedly they were rebuilt within 10 years (which is such a big time frame I don't think it matters) but they ran all last year and were winterized. I plan on doing an outboard conversion, so don't need them.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Worth a try, but I would not consider the sale of the existing running gear as part of my project budget. I had dreams of selling the 1975 Volvos in my boat. I was only able to sell the bare engine blocks for a measly $400, and I had to scrap the outdrives.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

You do make a good point.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hard to sell old motors and drives. When I repowered my 31, I took out two good running 454 Mercs and got about 1,250 in total including the tranies. One went to the guy who slipped next to me who blew an engine and the other went to the Marina next door to the Marina I had it in for one of their repowers.

I was just glad to get rid of them. Thought they were going to go for scrap.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
captbone

Post by captbone »

It is tempting but I think it will cost you more in the end.

By the time you add steering, throttles and search for the fiberglass flybridge, I think you will be well over $10k into the boat just as it sits without repowering. Adding steering and throttles alone would be close to $1k even if you had the flybridge. It adds up very fast.

In the next weeks, you will see several more boats come up for sale as normal.

That flybridge boat in Lindenhurst for $1k with no power is still sitting in the guys yard last time I look a couple weeks ago.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

captbone wrote:That flybridge boat in Lindenhurst for $1k with no power is still sitting in the guys yard last time I look a couple weeks ago.
Which one is that?!... Where is "Lindenhurst"?!...
captbone

Post by captbone »

Long Island. It was posted on craigslist a few months ago. 25 Bertram Flybridge I/O with no power. Looks to be in good shape, flybridge is on the rear deck. $1k was the price.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.672653, ... ZWu-Xg!2e0
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Really captbone? I thought he would have sold it. He told me that he had several others and he really just wanted it gone. I may actually try to grab it now.

I had a guy that was going to tow it for me last time for really cheap...but then the Mrs got too flustered and pulled the plug. I'll have to get in touch with both of them again.

Do you happen to know his contact info captb? Not sure if I still have his.
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

I'm getting married may 2, so this is crunch time for me. But soon after that I will definitely be searching high and low.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

captbone wrote:Looks to be in good shape, flybridge is on the rear deck. $1k was the price.
I guess it's gone because I can't find it anymore...
captbone

Post by captbone »

Next time I am in the area I will drive by to see if it is still there. If it is I would recommend writing him a letter asking. I have had great luck using that tactic.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

captbone wrote:Next time I am in the area I will drive by to see if it is still there. If it is I would recommend writing him a letter asking. I have had great luck using that tactic.
Get the name and address while you're there... Email too if possible!...