First aid kit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

First aid kit

Post by Russ Pagels »

Any Ideas on a good off shore first aid kit. I have two small ones, don't know if they cover all the bases. thanks Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
TailhookTom

Re: First aid kit

Post by TailhookTom »

Hi Russ:

Anything made by Adventure Marine. I love their design as everything is clearly labeled, neatly organized and, more importanly, task specific. My crew, fortunately, includes my brother-in-law who was an EMT - he found this for me, it's the exact one I have on my boat.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... &id=592609

Tom
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Russ,

I'd likely shop with CPR Savers and First Aid Supply and get the best kit I could afford... First aid isn't something you want to skimp on.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

My first aid kit includes one of these:

Which is not only great for helping out the idiot who steps on a fish hook (even that I warned against bare feet before leaving the dock) but is also good for whacking the offender upside the head to drive the point home (so to speak).

Coat with CX semiannually.

I also carry something to stop severe bleeding, but this stuff should only be used if you think someone is going to bleed to death before you can get to a hospital, or before a helicopter can get to you....

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Mike:

That is like a swiss army tool -- just to be safe, I carry two (one time at bandcamp someone dropped one overboard when the shark lunged). I've had to splint broken bones, butterfly cuts that needed stiches, and we all heard the story of the gentleman that had to endure the pain of a flying gaff through his shoulder/collarbone.

My rule of thumb, and why I like the kit I carry -- what if I'm the one that needs care and I have an untrained crew -- the adventure marine kit has clear instructions, including pictures, of what to do.

Tom
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

thanks Guys, just ordered my adventure kit. Mike I have the quick clotting powder, but not the bolt cutters, have them in the work room, but not on the boat, time for another pair.Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Mike,

I remember your having mentioned again the need to carry the bolt cutter, but its a while back.
Except to cut fish hooks, that you can well use the pliers for, what is the true reason for carrying such a heavy thing on board.
Had you said something about untangling the propeller or am I wrong?

Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I wouldn't use it for anything other than fish hooks. Most of the crap that winds up tangling a prop is better cut with a serrated knife.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

TEKTON makes multiple size bolt cutter from 8" to 36"...

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I don't know what size fish hooks you guys use, but the bolt cutter in Mike's pic seems a bit too big for the hooks I know. Masons use these to cut steel rods in building construction. Also used to cut anchor chain in shops.
Nevertheless, I got my answer in that I have no use for such a tool as there is no hook ever aboard my boat. The little one, however, that the Capt. is proposing, is a good idea for those stubborn rotten bolts that simple cutters or pliers are ineffective with (ineffective in that you end up with the bolt intact and your palm bruised by the effort).

Thanks for the advice.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

The little one, however, that the Capt. is proposing, is a good idea for those stubborn rotten bolts that simple cutters or pliers are ineffective with (ineffective in that you end up with the bolt intact and your palm bruised by the effort).
Yannis,

Notice the jaw capacity and order 1 size greater. 24" would be the smallest size that I'd order for 1/4-20 machine screws.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

CaptPatrick wrote:Notice the jaw capacity and order 1 size greater. 24" would be the smallest size that I'd order for 1/4-20 machine screws.

Sure do Capt., only I'm clueless in the measurement in inches; I'll go down the shop and see for myself with a few bolts in hand.

Thanks again.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

1/4" is 6.35mm

The 24" cutter have a jaw opening of 5/16" (~8 mm)
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Captain thank you.

If you tell me X feet, I multiply by 30 to get centimeters. It's not precise, but for the distance, or the length, its OK.
If you tell me Y inches, I multiply by 2.5 to get centimeters. It's almost accurate.
But if you tell me 3/8, 7/16 and the like, I remain clueless. I don't know, to start with, if 3/8 is more or less than 7/16. Whereas in metric, a screw of 8 mm is always larger than that of 6 mm. Same applies for drills etc. Weren't you guys supposed to change to metric at some point? And Centigrade?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Another good use for bolt cutters medically is cutting off a ring on someones finger. As a kid on vacaation on our boat, my new brother in law jumped off the deck onto the dock but held onto the teak railing, the teak had worn enough over the years and he held his hand just right that the corner of the ring got caught on the rail plate and as he jumped ripped open his finger.

My dad grabbed bolt cutters and cut the ring off and bandaged the wound. One reason to this day I don't wear any rings or jewlery while working.

This applies to all regions except New Jersey where they would just use a rusty filet knife and cut your finger off.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bruce, I love it.

By the way, I never got married so I never got a ring. And I don't have pierced ears, nose, belly buttons, or anything else.
Some day someone has to explain to me what happens with the New Jerseyans...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:I never got married
I guess that's one explanation for owning a Bertram... <evil grin>
Yannis wrote:Some day someone has to explain to me what happens with the New Jerseyans
Just look westward across the Adriatic... You should be able to imagine if not see a country on a really large boot shaped peninsula... <evil grin>
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

So Nav you're saying that NJ's are descendants of Italians? Oh you mean the difficult clan...

As for never having got married , that happened before I got a Bertram, but it helps ! Less nagging... And more boating, may I add !
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

First Aid kits are necessary and most of the basic procedures are governed by common sense, but there is really no substitute for structured training. In about a week, I'll mark 35 years in EMS and more calls than I care to remember. NYS requires a recertification of my knowledge and skills every three years as motor skills become lost through inaction in areas you don't practice every day and the EMS knowledge base is constantly expanding. How many years has it been since that first aid course you took for your first captain's license? Whatever else you do in terms of preparation, I strongly suggest brushing up on knowledge and techniques through a formal course in addition to the purchase of new equipment.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

White Bear wrote:First Aid kits are necessary and most of the basic procedures are governed by common sense, but there is really no substitute for structured training. In about a week, I'll mark 35 years in EMS and more calls than I care to remember. NYS requires a recertification of my knowledge and skills every three years as motor skills become lost through inaction in areas you don't practice every day and the EMS knowledge base is constantly expanding. How many years has it been since that first aid course you took for your first captain's license? Whatever else you do in terms of preparation, I strongly suggest brushing up on knowledge and techniques through a formal course in addition to the purchase of new equipment.

VERY WELL SAID!! I just got recertified -- I had no idea that basic CPR has changed so much, chest compressions being much more important than mouth to mouth for example.

Tom
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:So Nav you're saying that NJ's are descendants of Italians? Oh you mean the difficult clan...

As for never having got married , that happened before I got a Bertram, but it helps ! Less nagging... And more boating, may I add !

Yannis

Bruce and Nav is just making fun of my Sicilian relatives. If they are not cutting off someone's finger for stealing then they are making up cement shoes for someone who played around with the wrong wife.

Go on to you tube and catch the show called the Soprano's. You will get the drift.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Yannis

Bruce and Nav is just making fun of my Sicilian relatives. If they are not cutting off someone's finger for stealing then they are making up cement shoes for someone who played around with the wrong wife.

Go on to you tube and catch the show called the Soprano's. You will get the drift.
Capisce?
Possunt quia posse videntur
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Stephan wrote:Capisce?
Actually, I'd be surprised if they didn't have that show in Greece... Having said that, I wonder how they'd dub NYC/NJ English with an Italian accent into Greek (most of the stuff on their TV is dubbed into Greek)...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Interesting...

Tony, don't let anything bother you, they're jealous !

Nav, I don't know if they play (or ever played) that Sopranos on Greek TV, what I know for sure is that no foreign production (film or soap) is ever dubbed (either on TV or cinema). They almost always subtitle everything, except for children programs (who can't yet read). So any accent can be heard as is, although I doubt that many could tell if there exists such an accent, or where it comes from. The weirdest of all is Canadian french. However, in all western European countries they almost always dub. I personally think dubbing deprives you from the true meaning; listen to John Wayne or anybody else speak anything other than English, it simply sounds silly. And why would you want to hear "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" in anything else but the original? Like in Italian it would be something like "Sincero, mio caro, non me ne frega niente" with the wrong lip movement ! Capisci ?
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:what I know for sure is that no foreign production (film or soap) is ever dubbed (either on TV or cinema). They almost always subtitle everything, except for children programs (who can't yet read).
Hmmm... I spent one vacation on Lesbos (Greece) and another one in Larnaka (Cyprus)... Didn't watch much TV but seem to remember that it was all in Greek... I guess that the Greek are faced with the same problem as the Dutch in this regard - a relatively very small market... I do know for certain that much stuff is dubbed on German, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese TV... In Japan, Korea and China practically everything is dubbed on TV... I have no idea what goes on in cinemas...
Yannis wrote:I personally think dubbing deprives you from the true meaning; listen to John Wayne or anybody else speak anything other than English, it simply sounds silly. And why would you want to hear "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" in anything else but the original?
Not only does it does it sound and look funny (just imagine Telly Savalas as Kojak "speaking" Japanese) but, I believe, it hampers their ability to learn English...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Navatech wrote: but, I believe, it hampers their ability to learn English...
That's what happens.

In countries which out of pride do not want to concede to any foreign spoken sound (Spain, France, Italy, Germany, ...), but also do not need to (Spanish is spoken in 21 countries, French the same, there are at least 60-70 mio. German speaking people if not more), these countries dub.

In smaller countries it depends. There are ones that play it chauvinist and others that don't. We don't.
When your language is spoken by 10-15 mio people worldwide, you have to learn other languages to communicate. In Spain you don't need to, as much.
But then again the Spaniards or the French do not speak a word of English whereas in Greece, even at the most remote village you will be able to communicate in a foreign language. Even those elderly people who never went to school, will eventually tell you the street. Possibly because out of, say, 4 hours a day that they watch TV,one is in English or French or anything else (mostly English though). After so many years they've been exposed to this language, and with a little help at school ( for the younger ones) you end up speaking a bit. Plus, as we said before, it's silly to dub.

PS: Cyprus is another country so I don't know, but Lesvos is the island the closest to Turkey there is. In the morning you can hear the turkish roosters! Perhaps their TV channels are mostly from Turkey, as a matter of fact they are. And perhaps Turkish might not be as welcome in their ears, so perhaps the Turkish channels in Lesvos are dubbed, when Turkish is spoken . Voila. Tumultuous history, you know...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John Wayne saying "Pilgrim" in any other language just would not be right.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

John Wayne saying "Pilgrim" in any other language just would not be right.
Tony, :) !!!
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]