Engine oil analysis

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Vyn

Engine oil analysis

Post by John Vyn »

I'm getting ready to change the oil in my gassers. I remember sending my oil samples to a lab in Arizona the gave me a great report and kept track of any wear. But I can't find their name in my notes. (It's a bitch to get old!)
Does any one have a lab they can recommend?
1972 Bertram 31 Hull 1018 "Knot Again!" - new to me July 2014
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Engine oil analysis

Post by mike ohlstein »

I've used Blackstone.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

+1 on Blackstone. I especially like their comments section and on the occasion that I called for clarification they took the time to go back through the file and the data with me.
Possunt quia posse videntur
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

My 2 cents on oil analysis.... As a stand alone tool- one time or new analysis is next to worthless. Comparing a benchmark to results of future or previous tests, they have increased value.

Lab rats try to read the tea leafs and comment on longevity and use of the engine with poor success.

A few friends in work boat maintenance have told me different engines they have in their stable have drastically different results in sodium and aluminum on some engines, but never concern them selfs with levels unless something changes.

So it may be worth your time to search a little deeper for your old results or lab, if they kept test on record.

Information and data is great.......but if it doesn't translate into a positive coarse of action, it's value is questionable.

Just my 2cents...... Other people obviously swear by them.

Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

RAWicklund wrote:As a stand alone tool- one time or new analysis is next to worthless. Comparing a benchmark to results of future or previous tests, they have increased value.
Absolutely true!!! Certain things may be deducted from a single test... Other things require seeing long term results as it's not the value itself that's important but rather the trend of the value...
John Vyn

Post by John Vyn »

thanks for all the information here. I agree that long term trend analysis are the real worth of these test, but we have to start somewhere. I'll give Blackstone a try.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

+1 Blackstone
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

John Vyn wrote:I agree that long term trend analysis are the real worth of these test, but we have to start somewhere.
It would be well worth your effort to try and track down your previous lab... They should have your previous results on file...
John Vyn

Post by John Vyn »

Sent the 2 oil and 2 transmission samples to Blackstone on Friday. We'll see how they come back.