palm Beach Boat Show Report

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

palm Beach Boat Show Report

Post by Bruce »

Well another show came and went.

It was slower than a game of bingo being called by a deaf mute.

Both jewelry booths in the main tent where I was at seemed to be the busiest and the typical Guy Harvey and Sperry over priced and over rated apparel seemed to do well.

The few times I walked outside, the display boats had few lookers.

Just reinforced my opinion that the Florida boat market is in a recession.

Had a bunch of people come by the Yanmar booth and tell me they recently purchased a boat with Yanmar power and asked about their engines.

Me: What model do you have?
Bo: I dont' know.
Me: How many cylinders?
Bo: I don't know.
Me: Does it look like ones we have in the booth?
Me: What color is it?
Me: Must be that new model that hasn't come out yet.
Won't be out for another year or two.
Bo: But I have them in my boat now.
Me: Exactly.

Steyer had some good lookers. A possible Black Fin and Tiarra and a guy looking for a 28 Bahia Mar with gas and wants to repower with Steyers.

Anybody know where a 28 Bahia Mar is?

Mastry has about 20 4LH engines left. They are going fast. Get them while they last if you've been putting it off.

Saw the new Volkswagon diesel.
All I can say is my opinion of German engineering just hit the crapper.

---------------------------------------
BTW, the IRL opened at Homestead this weekend and they are running Ethanol in the cars now.

The evening news is running a story about how ethanol is the future.
No mention of how we can't produce enough corn for the 35 billion gallons a year we would need and about the costs of producing ethanol, or how the costs of feed for livestock will sky rocket leading to hugh on the plate meat prices among other things.

Frightening just how brain dead most sheeple are.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Bruce
I went to the local boat show in Mobile Al and have gone to the show every year since the early 80's.

I always enjoyed the show and looked forward to going up until he late 90's.

Since the late 90's I have continued to go to the show mostly because there is not much else going on and I do like looking at everything else more than looking at the boats.

I always feel pretty good about myself and my decision to purchase "De Nada" after walking thru the show.

The last couple of years I especially noticed boats that fit on trailers that top $250K.......I personally just don't see it.............

I have the opportunity to see some of these boat owners in action on the water..........no respect for other boaters.........absolutely no seamanship at all and not a clue as how to handle or dock one of these monsters.........

One guy I know went out an purchased a pair of props to fit his twin Outboard engine boat and could not understand why when you put the engines in forward gear, one engine pushed forward and the other pulled backwards...........had no idea about counter rotating engines.

One day I intend to expand my horizions and attend the Boston boatshow and the Miami boatshow...........I've heard that they have not only more of a selection of boat types.........but feature a lot of information and help that appeals more to the boatyard owners as well as prospective boat owners.

Harry Babb
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Bruce,

Sounds like an accurate description:
guy looking for a 28 Bahia Mar with gas
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Harry, You want to come to Beantown for a lobster, or a beer, or a drink on the tubb at itw new land dock, fine. Don't waste your time on the boatshow. Same deal as all the oher regional show. Maybe to Newport Ri show would be worth going to but thats it. Save your $$$ and do liquerdale.
Thudddddddd
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

VW has some dang funny commercials though. The wrecking ball coming from out of no where and demolishing a Honda with a 100 shot of NOS that put down a stellar 120 hp on the dyno is always amusing. That same honda had a hood from a funny car. If you have a sense of humor anything like mine check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCIF6JF1 ... ed&search=

Time to go grind more fiberglass.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Very funny link Kevin - good monday morning laugh. I agree that boat shows have become a little dull and predictable. I'll have to try for liquordale one year, mostly to meet you guys.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sheeple!?!?! Sheeple! I love it.
Weldon couldn't be caught and Danica keeps catching the pit wall on the same track. Poor baby.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
ed c.

Boat Shows

Post by ed c. »

Bruce, what you say about the boat show is the same up here in NJ & Philly. The salesmen were bored stiff, plus the biggest boat was 33' at the Philly show. The Wildwood , NJ Boat show has changed its name to the Wildwood Boat & Fishing Show. A sign of the times. I heard that Silverton has had a layoff. They are right up the road from me. The large marina across from my slip has decided not to sell boats anymore.Talk about overpriced" 2007 35' Trinton CC with triple 250 mercs. sells for $160 grand". Last year our condo docks had 5 slips available, there are 20 empty this year. Another marina was toying with the idea of putting 2 small boats in the 50' slips. A 40' slip rents for about $4,000 this year, i don't know if that is good or bad, i guess it depends what part of the country you are in.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Timmy
Liquor and lobster sounds pretty good to me.........I hope to take you up on that offer one day..........

Down here Contenders outfitted with bunches of motors are the overpriced lure designed to catch fishermen......I believe the one at the show this year was 33 feet ??? for $237K even came with a trailer WOW!! ! ! !

Harry Babb
hb
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

There is a Bertram 28 Bahia Mar in the Brightwaters canal(Long Island, NY) that I've been looking at for more than five yrs now. The owner is very happy with the boat. It's on the south end, west side. No name on the transome. It has gas engines.
A neighbor pointed the boat out to me and it just didn't look right. The express type lines and the high free board makes it look very different. A rare boat indeed.
And another thing. Last fall my bro-in-law introduced me to a Bertram 25 captain with shafts rather than the out drive.
Believe it!
A/K/A El Gaupo
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

ed
we have 80 slips in my co op may be 25 are rented per year
randall

Post by randall »

dick.....my 25 has inboards and shafts......
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

randall
he had a senior moment
randall

Post by randall »

familiar with the concept
ed c.

Boat Show

Post by ed c. »

CWJ, about 2 or 3 years ago you could not find a slip in my area. There is a run on small boat slips, because there are not many at all in the Cape May/ Wildwood area.