Question for gassers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harv

Question for gassers

Post by Harv »

Has anyone replaced the stock manifold and carb with the Edelbrock performer manifold and marine carb? Was curious to know if so, what improvements have you seen over the stock setup.
Harv
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Harv
I believe that I remember quite a while back that Catp DQ reported using the Eldebrock manifold and carb setup and he was very pleased with the results.
If he doesn't chime in here pretty soon, I would suggest sending Doug a PM about the manifold that you are interested in using.
Harry Babb
hb
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The Edelbrock carb is the same as the carter AFB. Good carbs. I have AFB's on my 440's and I have one of the Edelbrocks on a flatbed truck. i couldn't see any differences in their construction.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harv,

The Edelbrock manifold & carb set up works great if your going to keep your gas engines. If you have big block engines use the 650cfm 4-barrel carb with the performer II manifold but call Edelbrock and talk to them for your type of engines if there not Chevy's.

I used them on big block Crusaders and they performed great. Well worth the cost in saving on fuel and performence.

Note: It helps to have electronic Ing's also. If you have flowscan's, mark your burn before you change and after so you have the data to support your suprise.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Ted_R

Post by Ted_R »

Harv: Been planning on doing same on my 351 Fords in my 28. Have manifold and aluminum heads. Got sidetracked, but now i'm going to do it. My Holley carbs gum-up if they sit more than a week or two, and wont start without being cleaned to some degree, or o'hauled. (which I can now do blindfolded!!) Last time I had a problem I threw on a 650 Edlebrock auto carb thats been sitting in my garage for over a year. Had to "Field engineer" linkage and fuel line, and the back barrels wouldn't open because holes in stock manifold were too small, but the engine started without so much as a throttle pump!!! Rode around for 30 miles without a hiccup. I'll be calling Edlebrock for a couple of Marine versions and to ck on the best version of the intake manifold for marine use, if there is such a thing. Of course you must be FWC to use any aluminum eng parts.
Good luck with yours, and keep us posted.
""Procrastinate now!"
John F.

Post by John F. »

Harv-

I've had the Edelbrock carbs on my 454s for 4 years now without problems. I didn't get to the manifolds this winter, and now will anxiously await your floscan before/after numbers.

Thanks-

John F.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

One thing I forgot to mention is, FWC engines only! as Ted-R remined me in his post.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harv

Post by Harv »

DQ,

My Mercs are 454 Chevy blocks. I was told by my auto mechanic, (A Chevy Maven) that this setup would work extremely well for me. He originally wanted me to bring him both motors for him to rebuild and balance for me, but the yard put a halt to that. However, I did get the yard to allow me to bring my friend, the existing carbs, manifold and distributors for him to trick out slightly. He was also highly in favor of switching to the Edelbrock intakes. All tricking out is in the name of increased power and torque while also attaining better fuel economy.
Harv
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harv,

Prescolite is the brand of electronic distributor's & changing of plug wires, & spark plugs, I had on my 87 model Crusader 454's. The Performer II is the series of Edelbrock intake I used and the Edelbrock marine carbs.

That should take care of the engine tricking out with a clean flame arrestor, that should be kept clean for good air flow.

I had BW 72c gears w/ 1:5 ratio w/ 18 x 15 3blade w/ 2 cup pitch on the props. Then I cruised anywhere from 2900-3100 rpm without being in the secondary's by the flowscan's burning 9.2-9.7 gals per side. top rpm 4200-4400.

The stock intakes on 454's are so poorly matched to the ports on the heads, it's are to believe without seeing it for yourself.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

DQ: What speed were you cruising at with those #s?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Rawleigh,

By the GPS @ 2900-3100 rpm with 230 gals fuel and take into account full marlin tower with enclosures 20.5kts - 21.5kts with coolers and 4-people on board. As you know with less means more speed.

Now I'm going with the 6bta 250hp diesels and should be able to cruise @ 24kts. with that weigh or more with less fuel burn and I'll be very happy:)

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Yea, I'd like to see that magic 25kt cruise. It really is a different boat at that speed!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hey Rawleigh,

What are you cruising @ with your 440Cr, with what transmission & props are you pushing.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

If anyone is looking for some cast iron intakes for 350 chevy with vortec heads i have some. They are this high performance bowtie manifolds really nice and have never seen saltwalter.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'm cruising at 21 kts at 2900 RPM. 0.85 to 0.90 MPG by flowscan. I have Velvet Drives. I hate to confrss that i can't remember the exact wheel specs. Sorry.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bill Mckinnon

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

I've got the 454's with 18X19 wheels Nibral and the old Rochester carbs and cruise at 23 to 24 @ 2900RPM will burn 170 gals in a 13 runnin 60 miles out trolling all day and 60 back in

Capt. Bill
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

23 kts means I'm turning 3000rpm. But that's not my cruise. I go slower at 18 knts. WOT is still classified and it's a fact that I go a hella' lot fast than Capt Harv.

The weather has been so good in New York that the Irish Wake is in the water as of 1100 hrs this morn. Margarita mixed will be on the shopping list Saturday fer sure.
A/K/A El Gaupo
scot

Post by scot »

Harv,

I have an Edlebrock 650cfm Marine version on 350 chevy. The carb has been in service for 5 years without the first hitch, fires right up everytime and runs great.

If your going this route be sure to get the marine version, the jets are larger and run richer. Automotive carbs have smaller jets, set lean and can cause a marine engine to lean-out...the results can be burning a hole in a piston, automotive carbs are not set up to be run at 3,000 RPM all day.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harv

Post by Harv »

I may be keeping my Rochester Quadrajets. I still have some time to crunch numbers and combinations before I put the final package together. So far it looks like I'll get new mallory Marine distributers and ignition control boxes, Mallory coils and plug wires, edelbrock manifolds, and new flame arresters.
WOT is still classified and it's a fact that I go a hella' lot fast than Capt Harv.
Dick,
Is that so? Then why is it every year that we travel to Atlantic City, I have to slow down to wait for you to catch up?
Look who's behind me...

Time to cut back on the Margaritas.......my friend.
Harv
John F.

Post by John F. »

Harv-

Check to see if your Quads will bolt up to the Edel. manifold. Square bore v. spread bore.

John F.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Nothing like a pix of a B31 running head on to understand why we sip this Kool Aid.

Randall did (bad word, he created, big time) for me & the Bride (thanks again, my fren') the "Legend of Bertram" book in pine, and the cover is a similar head on view of a B31 running. We all talk about how great the B31 is, but we seldom say what the real deal is: it is artsy, all the proportions are just right, from any angle it's just right. But the head on shot is always my favorite.....full bow, all the action is in the deep v. Shame the Hyena Boats can't quite make the B31 cut from all angles. But hey, there is always 2d place at the UVI.

Harv - thanks for the pix, great shot....is that the Brooklyn Bridge over your pulpit?

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harv,
I may be keeping my Rochester Quadrajets
Thats like leaving your new bride outside the doorway and not bringing her in after getting married? Get the whole package, it will run & feel much smoother. The Edelbrock manifold & marine carbs will do a better job together than apart.

Do yourself a favor a chunk those Rochester in the water and go with the Edelbrock marine carbs. But call Edelbrock's tech dept. and ask them about putting those Rochester's to their manifolds and just what your wanting to do and let them advise you to make a positive decision.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I agree with UV, thats a great picture of the B31 front shot running.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Harv

Post by Harv »

John,

I believe edelbrock makes an adpter plate for this purpose.

Capt.DQ,

My long time friend and mechanic suggested overhauling and blueprinting the Q-jets,
but that is still an option. He may decide to suggest new carbs as well. Still have plenty of time to
crunch the figures before making a final choice.

UV,

That is the 59th Street Bridge, also called the Queensborough Bridge.

Here's the Brooklyn Bridge with the Manhattan Bridge in the background
Harv
John F.

Post by John F. »

Harv-

They make adapters, but if you look at them, you have to lose alot of the efficiency you're trying to gain. I have them for my Edelbrocks to stock manifolds. If I were replacing ignition and manifold, I'd do the carbs at the same time. My 2 cents....and your money which makes it much easier for me to spend.

John
Harv

Post by Harv »

John,

I called an Edelbrock tech right after I made my earlier post. He told me the Q-jet will bolt right on without any mods or adapters. Also said there wouldn't be any noticeable difference between carbs unless the Q-jet was toast.
Harv
John F.

Post by John F. »

Good deal.

John
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Harv, Glad to hear things are coming together for Windstar. Hopefully you'll be able to make Atlantic City this year with Windstar, secretly I'm going to try to have my boat done in time.

Maybe we can setup a grude match between you and Dick with the looser picking up the dinner bill ;)

Cheers,
JohnD
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harv,

Good, glad you called Edelbrook and talk to them. I know we recommend things that work for us to other people, but I also had called them years ago to back-up what I did to my 454's. I was very please at the performence & fuel saving. I have recommended this set up to alot of people that have been very happy with the results. The Flowscans will prove that.

Now I'm going with 6bta 250hp like UV got in AJ, so I hope these engines will do me as good as my 454's treated me.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"