Sign of the times

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Sign of the times

Post by Tony Meola »

For you non NJ folks you will not know the names but I bet the story is the same in your area.

Another Party Boat is leaving Barnegat Light. I have been running Barnegat Inlet since 1973. I have been slowly watching the party boat fleet dwindle. For those that know her, the Doris May IV has been sold and is moving to Point Pleasant. The Eble Family who have been a fixture in Barnegat Light and Viking Village where the Commercial Fleet sails out of is gettng out of the business.

It appears the regulations have done them in. Blue Fish the mainstay of the fleet have been scarce the last couple of years, the fluke regulations and the poor fishing over the past few years coupled with regulations and price of fuel has made then decide to sell.

I see this as a common theme all around. They just can't make it anymore. I thought maybe it was me, only two keeper size fluke this year, all summer, talked to a good friend who is out at least 3 times a week and even he struggled trying to find them.

Looks like between commercial fleet having to throw back fish they hall in there nets duo size or quotas that are dead and the regulaitons we are all going to be pushed out of fishing.

The only good news for the commercial and charter guys, is the low price of fuel. Hopefully it stays down.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Harry Woods

Re: Sign of the times

Post by Harry Woods »

Tony,
Times are changing. I grew up fishing the Acid Slick and Seventeen Fathoms where head boats and jersey skiffs were bow to stern as far as the eye could see. The head boats made two trips at 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM seven days a week. The demand was such as you reserved your next trip before you got off the last one. There were plenty of fish and the cost was manageable. The father and son trips are gone. Now the costs have gotten out of hand and the kids would rather sit at home playing video games rather than catch a few fish and smell of bait for a few days after. Go figure.
Harry
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Ah, the Acid Waters! That's where I started at 9 years old with "Dad" Eder on his 30' Chris Craft Sea Skiff, twin 90 hp Grey Marine engines. He taught me a lot about being on the water and running a boat. With his guidance, from that time on, I ran the boat while he watched on. Ran my dad's boat also during those years but he didn't fish as much, mainly cruising.

As for the topic, Pt Pleasant seems to be an easier port to get to and there are more people in the summer. That being said, I really enjoy Barnegat Inlet, the holes inside and behind the Park, the Ridge and Drop Off etc. We had many good times there.

Didn't fish much this year due to trans problems but had a few good days on the lumps off the Manasquan Inlet.

Love it when a post reminds me of my younger days.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Joe,
At that time, 30' Luhrs with a 225 Gray Marine.
Harry
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The acid waters. Used to fish that on a friend of my fathers old Sea Skiff. Spent many a trip fishing with my father either out of Sheepshead bay on a Saturday night or out of Briele on the old EZ Fleet. I remember when the Boats out of Brielle has to run all the way to Barnegat Ridge to catch Blue fish.

In the late 50's and early 60's that was a long hall for them. I bet it was every bit of a 90 minute ride.

Spent may a day fishing the Shrewsbury Rocks, 17 fathoms and lets not forget the Ambrose light ship.

There really are no more night blue fish trips and in fact the Doris Mae which used to be primarily Blue Fish did not even make one of those trips this year.

New Rumor I just heard is that the Miss Barnegat Light is sold or close to being sold. If that happens then only the Caorl Ann is left down there.

Not only an end of an era, but the family business's are gone. Doris Mae and Miss Barnegat Light were family owned and run mainstays.

I remember when the Thumper was down there also along with the Carol Ann and the Bullwark that ran out of Forked River.

It is regulations, lack of fish, price of fuel and today, they have made it so easy for the average Joe to buy a boat, a lot of people that would have gotten on a party boat, now owns a bayliner or sea ray and they fish from them.

It just is not good.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

We always had a few head boat jobs in our place for years...upgrades, maintenance and repairs. Then it turned to just repairs done on a shoestring budget. Owners used to tell us how their dads, uncles and grandfathers bought the boats, had them made and the boom years. Talks of buying another boat and having their kids take over turned to talk of them pushing their kids away from getting into the business and trying to sell.

Fishing grounds were further, fuel costs rose then the regulations just put the last few nails into the coffin. Most clients enjoyed a day out on the water and fishing...but longer rides was less fishing time for them. Regulations either had them throwing back shorts all day or limiting out on other fish. In either case coming back to the dock with barely enough fish for a single family meal, never mind putting a bit in the freezer made it difficult for some people to justify the cost.
A trip to the frozen seafood section at Costco had a big bag of imported Swai or Tilapea on the tables for a whole lot less money. For those that enjoyed the water...a surf pole and a beach.