Backing down hard

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JimmyG

Backing down hard

Post by JimmyG »

Ok I was playing around today with my new set up and since it was calm in the bay I figured I would see how hard I could back down (preparing for next summer White marlin fishing lol) If i pushed it any harder I could have put the transom under, I had water coming through the hawser holes this never happened with my last 31 not sure if its the props sucking her down or the over size trim tabs....any thoughts???
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Backing down hard

Post by CaptPatrick »

Sounds like tabs to me Jimmy... Make double sure that the tabs are all the way up before backing down and watch that lead foot with those barn doors.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

CaptPatrick wrote:Sounds like tabs to me Jimmy... Make double sure that the tabs are all the way up before backing down and watch that lead foot with those barn doors.
They are big tabs (12 x 30) and I installed them as shown on the directions a 1/2 inch above parallel at back of the tab do you think i should raise it or go with a smaller tab....i gots to go fast backwards
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

I think I'd go smaller... With that power plant you have, you shouldn't have much trouble keeping your nose down, just enough tab to balance your lateral load.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

You running dqx wheels? They add lift fwd and will dig in reverse. Chimera would put water thru the hausers but not over the transom. Were you full fuel and real light in the nose? It made a difference in the old boat.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

JP Dalik wrote:You running dqx wheels? They add lift fwd and will dig in reverse. Chimera would put water thru the hausers but not over the transom. Were you full fuel and real light in the nose? It made a difference in the old boat.
Yes full of fuel and light in the nose and i'm using Acme 4 blades with a heavy cup
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I talked to Bennit Trim tab co. support and found out why i had issues backing down hard, he said the springs are rated at 80 pounds after that the tabs are pulled down to there lowest position he told me to add 2 more rams on each tab and it will take 220 pounds to pull them down and i'm going to go from 30" x 12" to 12' X 9" also
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jimmy,

If you go to 12' X 9", surly you don't need 3 rams per tab????
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

CaptPatrick wrote:Jimmy,

I hope thats not the case. Never saw anything like that on that size tab. If thats what they recomended, i'd ditch the hydraulic for either electric/screw drive or Q tabs. I replaced a bunch of broken pins on their cylinders from heavy back downs over the years.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

CaptPatrick wrote:Jimmy,

No they recommended 3 for the tabs i have (30" x12") I determined it was a over kill to put those big tabs on so i'm going to try 12" x9" with two rams....any thoughts
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Give 'em a try and see how they do...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe