Awl grip for engine paint ??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

Awl grip for engine paint ??

Post by Todd Pearce »

I have my motors completely stripped for rebuilds and have read about people using awl grip for the engine paint,any thoughts ??
Navatech

Re: Awl grip for engine paint ??

Post by Navatech »

Todd Pearce wrote:I have my motors completely stripped for rebuilds and have read about people using awl grip for the engine paint,any thoughts ??
Engines get hot... You SHOULD use special (heat resistant) engine paint... Some people prefer to get something close to the original color... Personally I prefer white or very light gray... Easier to see leaks :-)
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I used POR 15 engine paint with good results. I also used their Whitecote in my engine bays. Very glossy and durable as well as easy to brush.

http://www.por15.com/Engine-Enamel_c_9.html

http://www.por15.com/WhiteCote_p_44.html
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I have cummins in my rybo that were painted with awlgrip. U need to go thru the chemistry process ,use the 545 primer, sand and color coat, I don't concur about the heat issue, the only hot things on my engines r the turbos, they have yellowed over the years plus have replaced a few. The awlgrip finish on an engine is amazing ,we still wash and wax them annually,Matterhorn white,only the replacement parts that didn't go thru this process r yellowing, fyi
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

thanks for that, after some homework we have decided to go with altex no1 primer and their two pot enamel , according to them ,its the way, checked with two other guys who did it 4-5 years ago and they tell me all is well with theres , so fingers crossed its right
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

todd EVERY race boat on the APBA circuit had Awlgrip painted engines usually to match boat back in the seventies . Zul motors even went on to paint clear on them! they were beautiful .bare in mind exhaust headers are stainless so no need for heat factor in paint.my oil pan has four coats of top coat over 545 primer on cummins 6bta.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i should mention i painted the rest of engine with Awlgrip and exhaust manifold with white Rust-oleum heat paint here they are eight years later.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

wow ,bob they still look mint, nice stuff