That's Smarts!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

That's Smarts!

Post by Rocky »

What an intelligent bunch of individuals. I'll let you be the judge!
(You can stop at 3 minute mark)
Preston Burrows

Re: That's Smarts!

Post by Preston Burrows »

Rocky,

At least the fellow driving the boat, responsible for all the pax safety, appeared to be the worse off - unless he was guilty of a soccer dive!

The video does not show him getting up and the others did not appear too concerned for him......... so one can only assume he stayed down in embarrassment?

Lucky for all that they did not barrel roll, no doubt had the boat been faster they would have.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The beer bottle in the white shirt guy's hand- gotta wonder if the pilot had a few, I can't figure out what he was trying to do with the throttles, full reverse instinct? He saw something come up fast, a wake I presume.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Pretty sure his angle of attack on the wake was wrong, along with everything else. He was attempting to drive it like he was racing and props were leaving the water. If the props/hull were leaving the water he was in the slightest of turn while in air and "caught a chine" upon re-entry. He is basically a shi**y captain and should not have a boat like that.
Look at the before and after of the throttles, they are bent very bad. That must have been very painful.
Knucklehead needs a sailboat.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Look at the flying sunglasses at the 2:21 min mark.
Look at the horizon shifting at the 2:22 min mark, showing that the boat made a 90+ degree turn !!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I've said it a million times, we all have to take a test to drive a car but any jackass can own a boat.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bent throttles -- reminds me of me bending the entire steering column of the car three feet -- good times! That had to leave a mark on him.

Tom
HilaryS

Post by HilaryS »

There is a lot about that situation we can't see from the video. Instead of making assumptions about aspects of the situation, even ones that seem obvious, I look at the video as an example of why to be conservative with regards to speed and conditions. Finding ourselves in a situation, regardless of if we caused it or not; in which recovery isn't possible without sustaining injuries on board, is never enjoyable.

That video reminds me of a time in my little go fast boat, where I misjudged my angle and got thrown over the side. Thankfully there was no one else onboard so the only injuries were my own. There's a lot of things I could have done different leading up to the situation, unfortunately once I realized what was about to happen I only had enough time to cut power and try to hold on. Running around in a go fast was fun, but not something I get much enjoyment out of anymore. Now I enjoy a far more leisurely pace with friends and family joining me aboard my B28.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Knowing that there are several former racers on the board, and at least one each from cars, motorcycles, and offshore powerboats, (with myself being the two wheeler) I'm fairly confident that there are at least two observations which can be made without making any assumptions.

1. If you're going to go fast enough to get yourself thrown out of a boat, you should have the kill switch lanyard attached to your sorry ass.
2. If you're going to go fast enough to tear your brain in half on impact, you should probably be wearing a helmet.

Other than that, it's all good clean fun. (Until someone loses an eye..... as my mom would have said)
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

The driver of the boat, Marvin Carter, III of Memphis, TN suffered moderate injuries and a blow to his wallet as well. He’s being cited for speeding and imprudent operation of the boat. Five of the seven people on board were hospitalized, four of them with moderate injuries including broken bones.
Locals like Lisa Reed, a bartender at Beaver’s on the Lake, were shocked, but not entirely surprised by what happened.

“It’s packed. You’ve got the jet skis dodging the big boats. You’ve got the big boats dodging the jet skis. The skidoos wanting to jump off the bigger boats wakes. And you see ‘em flipping over. Falling off.”
http://fox2now.com/2012/09/05/police-ho ... ral-video/
Last edited by Rickysa on Oct 21st, '14, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

mike ohlstein wrote:Knowing that there are several former racers on the board, and at least one each from cars, motorcycles, and offshore powerboats, (with myself being the two wheeler) I'm fairly confident that there are at least two observations which can be made without making any assumptions.

1. If you're going to go fast enough to get yourself thrown out of a boat, you should have the kill switch lanyard attached to your sorry ass.
2. If you're going to go fast enough to tear your brain in half on impact, you should probably be wearing a helmet.

Other than that, it's all good clean fun. (Until someone loses an eye..... as my mom would have said)
Mike: I think we have one or two on here who also raced things that are actually supposed to be airborn as well.

Tom