Boat operator OUI kills two, gets two years in jail

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Boat operator OUI kills two, gets two years in jail

Post by IRGuy »

Boat operator gets two years in jail for operating under the influence, hitting a barge near Tappan Zee Bridge, and killing two passengers...

At almost twice the legal limit, operating at night, boat operator kills bride to be and best man,, .. ultimate stupidity.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/09/16/n ... d%3D529767
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Navatech

Re: Boat operator OUI kills two, gets two years in jail

Post by Navatech »

A sad story to be sure but who, in his right mind, gets in a car (or boat) when you know the driver is UI?!...
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I gotta think that they were all partying together ........
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bertramp wrote:I gotta think that they were all partying together ........
And I think you're right... Nevertheless, the families will sue... Where did the concept of "personal responsibility" go?!...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

They sue because they can. They sue because they win any way it goes. The insurance companies and the State will settle for some amount less than it will cost to defend themselves from a frivolous lawsuit.

We need some tort reform in this country, and we need it badly. If there was some financial risk associated with losing a suit like this, fewer suits would be filed and we would all be better off.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I lived in Westchester and Dutchess Counties for a bit and boated on the Hudson. Although it is a river, it is a large body of water and the real kicker can be the commercial traffic, which as we know is large and can't usually stop until they have mowed you down. But, if you don't see them, either they were not lit up or it was crazy lack of visibility or someone was "blind drunk or stoned"
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Never go faster than you can see. That's the bottom line.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

When I took the course to get my license one of the first things the instructor told us is in cases of reduced visibility (rain, smoke, fog, darkness, etc, etc) was to reduce your speed until you could be sure to stop within the distance you could see.
Frank B
--------------
Carl

Post by Carl »

IRGuy wrote:When I took the course to get my license one of the first things the instructor told us is in cases of reduced visibility (rain, smoke, fog, darkness, etc, etc) was to reduce your speed until you could be sure to stop within the distance you could see.

They are trying to sue the barge owners as it was not "Lit" up and they " he could not see it.

Barge was properly "Lit"...it wasn't "lit" like a Booze Cruise Party Charter with Flood lights blaring...but it shouldn't have to be.

As said you travel as fast as you can see...if he couldn't see the barge he was going too fast...If he couldn't pickup on the anchor/ navigation lights...he didn't know the rules of the road...or did and too drunk to care...

I think the fact he was drunk and admitted to smoking marijuana kinda explains why he hit the barge at speed at night.
Tragic avoidable accident that left several people dead...unfortunately the ones who died are the same ones who could have prevented their own death.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

I apologize if this sounds harsh but this is Darwinism at work!... You do stupid things (like getting into a car/boat) with an operator who's obviously UI) and your genes do not get to make it into the next generation... IMHO, the "victims" were first and foremost victims of their own failure to act responsibly!...

If I know I'm going to operate a vehicle/boat I will limit myself to 2 "adult beverages"... In fact, unless I know for sure I'm not going to be going anywhere I'll apply that limit... And I'm definitely NOT going into a vehicle/boat operated by somebody who's UI!...

I don't care if anybody considers me a party pooper!...

Back when I was in my very early 20's one of my best friends and his boss (father of 2 kids) were killed by a DUI trucker... I swore back then I'd never be in a situation where I'd be in a vehicle while UI...
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

I really enjoy boating at night...cruise up to a restaurant at sunset for dinner and back home under the stars enjoying the lights of the city. That being said, I'll readily admit that my "night vision" isn't what I wish it was...so it's always a slow cruise home, and even then it can be hard to spot those folks on the water that don't realize one of their running lights happened to burn out last month.

Call me a nerd, but I take my NVD when we go...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Rickysa wrote:Call me a nerd, but I take my NVD when we go...
I'd rather call you prudent :-))... I too love the night... My night vision is (still?!.) pretty good but I have my radar working even when I'm just "cruise'n" the ICW... And I never go faster then I want to bump into anything... That means that when I'm on the ICW and visibility is restricted (night, fog etc) I'm usually just in FWD with, at most, a couple of hundred RPM's above idle...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

In our area in the summer there are many hot spots over at fire island. With speed boats that like to go fast at night. My favorite thing to do was to go fishing about 3:30am until sun up. It didn't take long to figure out that was a bad idea.

I don't remember reading about anyone dead this season but just about every year there is one fatal accident. It almost always involves alcohol. I run a dry boat, no drinking onboard ever.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

PeterPalmieri wrote:I run a dry boat, no drinking onboard ever.
It's your boat so you run it whichever way you want to and I'm sure you have your own valid reasons... Having said that, personally I believe that's a bit too harsh... I make sure that there's at least one additional responsible adult besides me who's sober (legally and otherwise)... The rest can have more then 2 drinks... But, I also don't allow people to get really drunk either... The one exception I have is when there's even a possibility of bad weather on the way... Then everybody stays cold sober... Luckily none of my friends or family like to get blasted... Practically all are happy with one or two drinks and that's all they like... It's a social thing... Not crutch, refuge or whatever...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I've made a few exceptions.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Two adult beverages can get you in trouble with the law... No opinions or viewpoint...jus saying.

Whatever the case this guy was drunk and high...intoxication way beyond anything we are talking about.

Driving at night...on a clear moonlit night....I "may" push it to just on plane. But I have to be able to see way beyond my stopping distance...I am not worried about boats, tugs ships as I can see miles away...especially at night with the lights...but the floating debris often found in the Bay keeps the speed cut back.

Nights with just okay visibility...1200rpm with my gassers gives me about 6-7-8mph...little more little less depending on conditions. Usual ride back from most areas is an hour or two. That is my expected timeline when running at night....but always a loose timeline. If I cannot get back later then it takes to do that...I do not go.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:Two adult beverages can get you in trouble with the law... No opinions or viewpoint...jus saying.
Are you sure about that?!... I have always thought that with two beers (standard size - not super sized), two glasses of wine or two shots of a distilled product you're still under the legal limit... And my pocket blood alcohol meter agrees... I even got to blow a police meter and that went fine too...
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Are you sure about that?!... I have always thought that with two beers (standard size - not super sized), two glasses of wine or two shots of a distilled product you're still under the legal limit... And my pocket blood alcohol meter agrees... I even got to blow a police meter and that went fine too...[

While you might not even be close to the legal limit, .01 can be operating under the influence -- because you aren't operating at .00.

Tom
Last edited by TailhookTom on Sep 18th, '14, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I never drink anything containing alcohol while I am driving a car (I believe illegal in most states) or operating a boat (not sure about the law in any state). Accidents happen, and even if you are not at fault but have been seen to have consumed any amount of alcohol prior to an accident the suspicion is on you. I also believe different people have different responses to a given amount of alcohol. I suppose I can distill this issue in my mind by simply saying "Why take a chance?"
Frank B
--------------
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Remember the civil component to this as well. The legal limit is a criminal matter. Negligence is not and any alcohol will count against you.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

A 200lb man can blow a .04 (impaired) with two drinks. A little more or a little less depending on....
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:A 200lb man can blow a .04 (impaired) with two drinks. A little more or a little less depending on....
I get what you're saying but when I say two drinks that's over the course of several hours so I (210-220) don't think I'll be blowing over 0.03...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Navatech...As I said, no judgements here.

But reality today, you sit at a light and somebody plows into you...but you had a little drink about an hour ago. The ramifications of getting into an accident and having alcohol at any level "can" be ridiculous. Impaired, or not...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:But reality today, you sit at a light and somebody plows into you...but you had a little drink about an hour ago. The ramifications of getting into an accident and having alcohol at any level "can" be ridiculous. Impaired, or not...
Seriously?!... You do nothing and you could be held responsible because you had an amount of alcohol?!... A legal amount at that?!... Sorry but to me that sounds like a lawyer running wild... I refuse to live my life according to such rules...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

mike ohlstein wrote:Case in point (pretty much).
I beg to differ... First, Marijuana is illegal... Second, he had consumed enough to be legally impaired... The scenario I'm discussing is where an adult has consumed a legal product at a level that does NOT constitute legally impaired...