The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

OUTBOARD CONVERSION

Post by Craig Mac »

Carl

Re: OUTBOARD CONVERSION

Post by Carl »

That should sell quick...it has multi colors LED lights.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I did a search of 31s from 1971 - 1973 and three ouitboard powered boats showed up ... and none cheaply priced !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

My dockmate has the exact same motors --- on a Grady 33 Center Console. Oops, correction, he has the 350s. Center Console has a queen size birth below the console too. Crazy money, over 400k for a center console by the time he got the bow thruster, full electronics package and diesel generator.

Tom
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

TailhookTom wrote:My dockmate has the exact same motors --- on a Grady 33 Center Console. Oops, correction, he has the 350s. Center Console has a queen size birth below the console too. Crazy money, over 400k for a center console by the time he got the bow thruster, full electronics package and diesel generator.

Tom

You can buy a used gasser 31 for 20,000 and re do it for 150,000 and be ahead of the game. Go figure.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
captbone

Post by captbone »

46.1 mph is nice on those calm days.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It's a very nicely done boat and I totally get it some people want outboards, prefer outboards or need them. That being said the money is in the iron and it just doesn't justify the price tage. I don't care how much it cost to do the conversion you've gotta know you're just not gonna get that money back. That boat is going to sit until the one in a million who really wants it comes along or the price drops significantly. Every month an outboard sits and gets closer to being out of warranty is a big deal. Outboards without a warranty will basically discount the price of the boat by a price equal to replacing the motors. Now if it was listed for 120k they might find a quick sale.

All that aside I really like the design choice of the engine boxes, reduced the size but kept enough for seats and some smart storage. Also like the cooler seat up top, it's nice to have some snacks or a drink up top on a long day. Being that with outboards you have to work a fish to the side of the boat removing the engine box up to the pilaster really has a bunch of advantages.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you want a boat like that and money is not a concern...are you going to buy a used custom boat that is not 100% to your liking.

Could happen...but the list of takers keeps narrowing and narrowing when you left field custom.

Eh...my opinion anyway.
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

Flybridge boats just don't look right with outboards, probably works great but still doesn't look right.
Looking for my next boat!
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Not sure if this boat belongs to some one here, but my advice would be:

1. Take the crap out of the v-berth. You're advertising that there's no storage on the boat.
2. Remove the cushion from the helm seat as you're also advertising that the boat is uncomfortable to run as is.
3. Reduce the price by about $80K.
Regards,

Doug L.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

+1
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
The boat looks beautiful until you get to the transom. 2- 825 pound Rice burners attached to the transom just doesn't work for me, call me a purest but it can't stand the look. Why anyone would add 3 feet of iron to the rear of the boat making it cost 3 additional feet for storage/slippage every month. I remember years ago the owner of Sea Chest in Riviera Beach put a pair of OMC sea drives on a 31 FBC, he moored it off of Peanut Island, I never saw that boat leave the mooring field area, it just looked awful. Anyway, everyone has there own way of spending a ton of money but It will never get a good resale price like a conventional inboard powered 31. Like someone said reduce the price by a 100K and it might sell. I do like the disco lighting all they need is a mirrored hanging ball and a white suit.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61