Moisture monitor

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Moisture monitor

Post by gplume »

Was wondering if anyone has any recomendations for a reasonably priced moisture monitor. Not necessarily looking for absolute accuracy, just need to check the relative moisture of various spots as i do the bottom of my dad''s trawler over.

Noticed a big $$ delta between the ones used by marine surveyors, and the home chepo models.
Giff
Pete Fallon

Re: Moisture monitor

Post by Pete Fallon »

Giff,
The moisture meters range greatly in price, the one I use is a JR Overseas Group 33 Moisture Meter it runs around $400.00
Others can go up to $500-$1000. If the bottom is already painted the one that I use will not work, the metals in the bottom paint throw the meter off. I suggest you get a surveyor to tap out the bottom.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
gplume

Post by gplume »

Pete-
Thanks for the advice. The meter you mentioned is one that i found on line.....so thanks for confirming that it's ok.

Br
Giff
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Giff,
Just remember that it cannot be used on a painted bottom, the metal in the anti- fouling paint throws the readings off completely. The Group 33 meter comes with a calibration plate and carry case. I have had mine for 13 years and only sent it back to the factory once for repairs after I dropped it onto the cement in a boat yard from a deck 15' up, broke the needle off and cracked the case, I think it only cost me $50 for the repairs and they recalibrated it for nothing. I am going to be in the Boston area for at least 2 years if you need a surveyor for that boat. Good luck with the redo on your dad's boat.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61