Old tank is out. Need insight on the new one.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stuart Cooperrider

Old tank is out. Need insight on the new one.

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

Richard Kidd's B-31 fiberglass tank or Aluminum from a reputable source?
Kidd says his newly minted FB tanks are impervious to ethanol. It's about $4,500.
A quality aluminum tank of roughly the same capacity is quoted at $1,800. Seems in line with others mentioned on this site.
Please share your thoughts and/or experiences. Anyone out there gone with Kidd's product? Any issues with his FB I might not be aware of?
I'm on the fence.
Thanks for your feedback.

p.s. Old tank lifted right out of a 71, no problem. Foam came right out with it.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Glad to hear the foam lifted right out. I also have a 71 and will be pulling the tank in a couple of weeks. What size is the tank you are reffering to? I noticed that High Tide Marine, also linked to this site now has fiberglass tanks as well. Haven't gotten any prices from them yet.
http://www.hightidemarine.cc/fuel-tanks.htm
Harv
Stuart Cooperrider

Hi Harv.
I've got the smaller 170 gallon tank.
Very happy that it came out easily. I was anticipating a struggle. The foam came right out with the tank. No cutting needed. I'll check with High Tide and get their cost and lead time. Thanks. The Kidd FB tank is 230 gals. but the dimensions will fit my 71. My deck height accomodates the bigger tank. I'd heard that around 71 Bertram raised the height of the deck and fortunately mine was one of the later 71s.
The Aluminum tank I'm considering is 204 gals from Luthor's in Bristol, RI.
Good luck. I'll post anything noteworthy.
Thanks again.
-stu
Stuart Cooperrider

Harv.
Just checked the High Tide site.
Their 230 gal. tank is the exact same Kidd is representing.
-stu
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I was talking with Richard down in AC this past summer. I think he and High Tide got together on that tank. I know it took him a while to put it together. In July he told me he would have it by October, but I think just recently got it done. The other option is Stainless, some of the guys have gone that route and will probably jump in. Tony Meola
Dug

Post by Dug »

Stu,

Try New England Propellor. They make a lot of tanks, and are on the cape. They also have a solid amount of OEM experience.

You might find it worthwhile as well.

Dug
Stuart Cooperrider

Dug,
Thanks for the lead. Are these the guys in Plymouth?
-stu
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Dug,
last fall I contacted NE prop for a tank for my 33. They gave me another # to call that is their sub-contractor. At that time, lead time for a tank was about a month. They were also $1000 more expensive than having a SS tank made & shipped from Fl.
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yes, in Plymouth. I talked with them at length at the NE boatshow, and they have a lot of equipment in thier shop. Shears, big press brakes, and welding capacity. I am not sure that they outsource, but I won't argue, I just don't feel like it today.

They had a pile of tanks in the booth, and if they are not competitive, then they won't sell many...

Dug
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

For the what its worth dept, my 80 gallon fiberglass tank becomes 89 in aluminum, in 3/16 Luthers $965. and Capeway Welding/NE Prop $1000.

Keep Smilin
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

I just replaced my aluminum replacement tank with a new aluminum one. The "old" one was about 14 years old (maybe 12? I kinda forget for sure) but the tank was pitting which was what got me started on my whole redo. I think that the life of the aluminum tanks is only about ten years. Call S&P Sheet metal in Toms River, NJ. They make all of the tanks around here. I would bet they will tell you how long the aluminum tanks should last.