Wet core in cockpit sole lip

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

msteimer
Standing Member

Wet core in cockpit sole lip

Post by msteimer »

Guys,

I've run into my first unexpected snag. I started work in the cockpit bilge, removing rudders, shelves, etc to strip down for paint. Everything was going smooth until I cut into the lip that the cockpit sole rests on. There were a few holes that were not filled where water reached the core. On the starboard side, there are a few layers of balsa that turned to mush. I picked all that out. On the forward side there was some ply that had just a little water in it. If I cut the glass off the top and let it air out for a day it seemed to dry out. The picture shows a dried piece next to a freshly cut piece.

My question is...how much water will cause problems with freezing and then delam? The lip still feels solid...except for where the balsa turned to mush...but I'll replace that. Is this something I can just air out and re-glass. Or do I need to cut the wood out and re-core?

Thanks,
Mark

Marlin

Re: Wet core in cockpit sole lip

Post by Marlin »

I would find someone with a moisture meter to see how much water intrusion u have, freezing may be the least of your worries,kinda of the tip of the iceberg deal,once u know the extent of the intrusion ,u can form a plan to address the permanent resolution.