Questions on the project list for my 25

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

acarb

Questions on the project list for my 25

Post by acarb »

The fuel tank is still glass and I am going to replace it. Does anyone know of someone that sell these tanks prebuilt or a honest custom builder.
The railing and other stainless on this boat are in poor to fair condition. What are yalls opinions on powdercoating?
I have a fellow here that can do some nice coating for me.
The throttle cables from the flybridge need replacement. What vendors would you recommend for those.
The wiring is not beautiful but it is functional so I am gonna clean that up some and roll with it.
The last thing is the outriggers. The bases and pivots are there but he had no poles for them. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
CamB25

Re: Questions on the project list for my 25

Post by CamB25 »

I used Florida Marine Tanks (henderson, NC) for my tank. They did a nice job for a reasonable cost.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I had the aluminum vent scoops on my 28 powdercoated white--the guy who did it told me the coating is so tough you can hit it with a hammer without damaging it. I thought to myself "yeah, right", but ten years later they still look brand new. I was so impressed with that I had my aft window frames powercoated silver. One of them did get a scratch, but it took getting hit with the starboard engine during the repower to do it. I even had the bell done when I got tried of looking at the dull bronze. I don't know how well the process would work on stainless, but I have had great results with what I have done.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Powder coating needs to be done to the ANCI standards or it doesn't last, the problems I have encountered with power coating is when u attach the piece with fasteners, as the fastener gets tighter to the powder coated surface, it will serpent up friction and tend to gall the powder coating and loosen it, months later it starts to blister. On a couple of my projects I actually waxed the fasteners first ,places clear heat shrink over the head /shank of the fastener,shrunk it down, trimmed off the excess around the head and where the thread starts , to create an insulator/isolator conical thing that didn't tear off the powder coating in the comical recess or where the thread is, during installation of the fasteners ,it still works, I actually was ask by the local tower fabricator if I could provide such a device in a production capacity,apparently it's an issue with others. Your stainless is easily rehabed back to normal, whey change it unless u r looking for a cosmetic change
acarb

Post by acarb »

Marlin wrote:Powder coating needs to be done to the ANCI standards or it doesn't last, the problems I have encountered with power coating is when u attach the piece with fasteners, as the fastener gets tighter to the powder coated surface, it will serpent up friction and tend to gall the powder coating and loosen it, months later it starts to blister. On a couple of my projects I actually waxed the fasteners first ,places clear heat shrink over the head /shank of the fastener,shrunk it down, trimmed off the excess around the head and where the thread starts , to create an insulator/isolator conical thing that didn't tear off the powder coating in the comical recess or where the thread is, during installation of the fasteners ,it still works, I actually was ask by the local tower fabricator if I could provide such a device in a production capacity,apparently it's an issue with others. Your stainless is easily rehabed back to normal, whey change it unless u r looking for a cosmetic change
Cosmetics mainly. Thank you sir.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Not sure whee you are located, but Patriot Marine in Forked River NJ is a reliable tank builder.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

I used Patriot and recommend them.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J