The Baron

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

The Baron

Post by mike ohlstein »

Making it's debut appearance at The Vineyard...

http://www.ohlstein.us/pages/B20_Projec ... e%2013.htm
Last edited by mike ohlstein on Jul 29th, '06, 07:38, edited 7 times in total.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow!!! I like!!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mike
Going to see Chiris' Baron this morning. Damned cool boats. Must be Bertrams.
Mikey
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Buju

Post by Buju »

That is sweeeet. I haven't seen a blue baron before. Two questions:

1: Is the Baron hull the same as the reg. B20 hull, or has it been tweaked a bit?

2: What is the power in her?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I don't know about the hull being any thicker, but so far I haven't found any foam in it. I haven't looked under the floor in the bow yet, but from the helm area back, there's nothing but fuel tank and engine compartment.

This boat has a Chevy 350 coupled to a velvet drive transmission, and a Stern Powr [sic] drive. The drive is sealed......meaning that there's no water intake or thru-hub exhaust. Cooling water is drawn through a thru-hull. The propeller has a solid hub and the drive is just filled with 90 weight gear oil.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Buju

Post by Buju »

Yep, right now I've got the same set up in my moppie. A sealed up Volvo 280 outdrive with a 350 crate motor, through hull intake. Exhaust straight out the tramsom, makes for a great sound while underway- not stealthy by any means. What I was asking about the hull is, are they from the same mold? Identical? The Baron looks a little "sleeker" to me, maybe it's just the cap that throws me off... Lifting strakes seem... different somehow.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I 99.99% certain that the B20 hull mold is identical regardless of the deck (Bahia Mar, Moppie, Baron, Sportsman) on top.

Ian.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Mike, Nice boat!! There's a boat similar to that at the yacht club where we are having dinner Sat. night. A friend of Scott's. If I remember right it was also blue, the power I think was Bravo 1 with a built 350. He will be around that weekend, what a photo session that will be. My wife just made a reservation to have our car over there, so what I was thinking, was for a Cod trip maybe Fri and the girls could team up with my wife for a day around the island, while we're offshore. What d ya think?? Mitch
Mitch
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I just noticed what Patrick listed as your location, that's wrong !!!!!
Mitch
Harv

Post by Harv »

[quote=mohlstein]This boat has a Chevy 350 coupled to a velvet drive transmission, and a Stern Powr [sic] drive. The drive is sealed......meaning that there's no water intake or thru-hub exhaust. Cooling water is drawn through a thru-hull. The propeller has a solid hub and the drive is just filled with 90 weight gear oil.[/quote]

Mike,

This sounds like the same setup I have on my 26 Luhrs. Do you have other pics of the drive?
Harv
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Mike, that boat looks great, it is inspiring to see one that is not upside down in a shop half painted! Do you have any pictures of the bow hardware arrangement? would you mind emailing me some photos for reference? My baron was pretty well gutted, so I'm starting from scratch. Mine was full of foam from bow to stern, soaking wet. Thanks in advance,

Rod

rod@urbanimpact.com
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'll try to get some more shots.....

This is the drive...

http://www.mareng.com.au/sterndrives.html
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Mike,
The boat looks great. Were the pic taken in NC?

Frank
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

They were.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I posted some pictures from today. Just click the link from the top post in this thread.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Prof - that is a dead ass hansome boat. It be's you. Who's white hull B31 in the background of the last pix?

UV
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I've met the guy but it was several years ago and I don't remember his name.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mike,

You've got a real classic beauty there, congratulations. Maybe I need to ship my Sportsman to you and let you work your magic on her. Where in NC were the pictures taken, and why didn't you let us know when you were in our neck of the woods? Look forward to seeing you in FLL.

Tommy
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

The way I got it is the way you see it. It came from the Kitty Hawk area but I only went as far as Deleware to pick it up.

I'm open to suggestion, but so far I'm thinking about painting her black and gray or tan and gray, with a round white number plate on the bow...
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Took a ride in Chris' Baron, NICE! His has what appears to be an original 327. Got 28.3 MPH at WOT, flat water, and smooooth! Damned near died in the heat, but worth it.
Mikey
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Buju

Post by Buju »

28.3 MPH @ WOT with a 327?
I'd think it'd get up & go a lot better than that...
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

you can not trust Mikey to get all things correct. One it was hot as hell and that was not wot. I still have not got all of it down and as an excuse will say there might be to much wheel. 15x15 I think some of the diam has to come out. But still it is new to me and is a lot of fun
Mike O did you get the original sales brouchure from the owner as he has one and I have tried to get a copy.
Chris
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have it......

I'll try to make a good reproduction of it for you.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Mike; Thanks, This will be great. I tried to get a copy from the owner but he did not come through. You de man. Have you had the Baron in the water and run it ?
Chris
TailhookTom

Nice

Post by TailhookTom »

Mike:

Beautiful boat -- are you going for one in each size? If yes, I know a nice 54 for sale -- only powered with 12/71s so she is not fast, but a hell of a sea boat and she raise fish.

Congrats - how many Berts in the collection now?

Tom
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have the 31 and two 20's. 71 feet of Bertram.......

Randall and I ran it yesterday. It has some old gas in it and it's having a few issues. Hopefully they're being addressed today. Of course....I'm afraid to put new gas in it.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

its a great boat...when it ran good it showed alot of promise....we even took it out in the ocean through the inlet to see how that was....no problem...no surprise................today was a little different....went to the tails on a friends new 60 foot bertram....are we having fun yet?....i was ...although i was dissapointed it was so flat.....i wanted to plow through some 6 footers..................unbelieveable ride...beautiful appointments...SPEED......made it home in 2 hours cruising at 28-30...............and all at only 140 GPH...........we even caught a few fish
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Tommy,
The pictures look more like currituck than kitty hawk, But there are a lot of new street. I have been looking around for a project B20 or wellcraft 20. My wife can't believe that there was a B20 in kitty hawk and I didn't know it. Tommy hows the sportsman doing?
Frank
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Close....... Actually the pictures were taken in Moyock....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Mike O, that's a sweet ride!!!

My B20 is gray and white, "Jabba Jaws" from shark river NJ, I've got the motor out being rebuilt and will probably do the transom and floor this winter. Now that the B35 basically works I can play with the toy 20.

I found mine at A/C and after a ride out the inlet and back I was hooked, boated, and filleted....

Some pictures can be found at http://mysite.verizon.net/dunker/ladyd/
at the bottom. not the scuppers are blow the waterline, ugh.

btw, Gary had his B20 BihiaMar at A/C this year and had redone the follor, looked stunning (it's Mazda powered...)

br,
JohnD
randall

Post by randall »

the transom on mikes boat appears to be DRY...and it dosent look like theres any if little foam in the boat.....hey ..it could happen
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Capt. Frank,

Yep, Mike slipped into our own backyard and found a real classic; but it couldn't have gone to a better steward. As for my B-20 Sportsman, it's sitting in a friend's warehouse here in Raleigh "moth-balled" with the engine, outdrive and hardware removed. After re-doing two B-31s and two Boston Whalers over the past 7 years, I've run out of "get-up-and-go". The Sportsman project will have to wait for another day.

By the way, you and your family were missed at this years Bertram gathering at Harkers Island. The weather was pretty crummy, but we had a good time.

Tommy
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Tommy,
For some reason the weather is always questionable that weekend, and this year was nothing new. We missed seeing eveyone.But there is always next year.
Frank
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Mike if you are able to make a good reproduction of the original sales brochure I would be very intersted as well. I have some good stuff to trade for it. email me if you need a shipping address.

Thanks,
Rod