Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

charlie falkenstein

circle hook relaxation for tournaments

Post by charlie falkenstein »

the regs for circle hooks is relaxed until jan.2008
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/breakingnews.htm
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Been using circle hooks for over a year in preperation for the new rules and its been simple, circle hooks in dink baits for whitey and a couple of big old moldcrafts with j hooks for blue ones.
Wonder who was bitchin' about the change. All the guys I talk with are in favor of it. If it keeps the recreational group from getting into contreversy over marlin mortality we should be able to keep fishing for these critters, bring on the circle hooks!!!!
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Jp, Probably works for you, seeing as you Jersey liberals are afraid to kill anything anyhow. Now if you move your RLDT to Li, well then I might be inclinded to cut you a break, seeing as they got some blood thirsty MF's out there. Brewster, the fish killin machine, Walter the fish cookin machine, and the proff who's just a killing machine, birds, fish, carabou, and just about anything that piss's him off. Hummmmmm on the other hand you got randall (the pasifist) and CJW(the poacher) I'll have to get back to you on if moving to LI will help your cause.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

timmy
at least get the initals in the right order, did we have a liqiud lunch again
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I tell you what......those things work on Pacific Sailfish...... Can't say anything about other species, but I know what I saw in Panama last year.

That said, I use J hooks for tuna and have never hooked one in the gut.

Dorsal fin maybe.....but never in the gut.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thats all i use on stripers, no more gut hooked, i release 95% of my bass and all swim away happy.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

tell us about the other 5%, mr scofflaw
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i plead the 5TH
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

timmy all my bass i do keep are way over legal limit, when fishing the tournaments i rairly keep a bass thats under 40 lbs, as you know and for every one eles thats wondering, i came back from hawiai last year and didnt realize porgy season was closed, 3 porgys out of season equals 3 bills
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I'm all for killin tuna's stripers and the other eaters, hell I made a good living taking clients to the grounds and keeping half the catch to sell. Kept everyone happy, charter was less to the client and the capt and mate made some extra money.

Circle hooks for marlin tournaments yes!!!! Recreational fishing for tunas, my dinks will have J-hooks, if whitey comes up to bad for him. Good news the kill won't be reported cause it ain't a tournament and I've heard they sink.

Its not the rules its the loop holes that count.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
John F.

Post by John F. »

Charley-

I didn't even know porgys had a season....good thing I don't live on LI anymore. And if you catch stripers/rock so big that you don't keep anything under 40, I really, really want to fish you. Mid-Chesapeake rock rarely get that big, although there's rumor that a netter recently got an 80 lb+ fish about 5 miles from me.

John F.
randall

Post by randall »

...i beat a rat to death with a shovel.....does that count?
Thums Up2

Post by Thums Up2 »

Our charter boat in Costa Rica has been using with great success. We are even staring to figure out tricks to us them with certain lure bait combos no problem. I live in the NEast and we have been using them here to sharking, stripers, tuna etc. great with bait!
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Randallllllllllllllllllllllll, In a word, NO. You have to get off the step stool while your beatin in , for it to count.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Were you excited randall? If you didn't break the shovel you weren't excited. And I know you felt bad for the rat for an instant.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
randall

Post by randall »

actually i was relieved.......thought it would be hard to catch but was actually quite slow....you gearin up for st pats?
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Yeah boy.........Cooking a big gumbo now. Will boil 10 sacks of crawfish Saturday. Weather should be perfect.
Maybe next year.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Andre'
Just printed the boarding passes. Yvonne and I will see you @ bag claim around 11 tomorrow flight is NWA #1514 coming out of Memphis. Guess Timmy, Kathi and Da Judge are arriving today ? My cell 410-353-8240- I still have yours somewhere. Looking forward to it !
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Doug,
Yeah Timmy and Kathi are here already, Trey to fly over later today. See you at ther airport tomorrow.

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Well if Timmy's on the seen I'm sure the local liquor stores are getting a work out.
Have a clear for me Thudder
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

john
your wellcome any time your up this way