Aluminum Gas tank coating

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

Aluminum Gas tank coating

Post by bertram 20 »

Hey guys I just ripped out a fiberglass Ethanol safe fuel tank in my 28fbc it was doing strange stuff to my gas like turning it brown and engines did not like that so I a had a aluminum tank made I want to coat it with something before it goes in. what about 3m Undercoating that you would get a say autozone in a can or is there something better?I was also thinking of taking tank to local LINE X bedliner store and get a price would like to keep cost as low as possible but wanted to get your opinions thanks mike
Pete Fallon

Re: Aluminum Gas tank coating

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bertram20,
They make a 2 part epoxy (coal tar coating) that is widely used in the boat building industry, also if your foaming it in place make sure you use the 4 pound density foam not the 2 pound stuff, the 4 pound doesn't allow as much water intrusion into the foam and between the stringers and the bottom of the tank. Make sure you have a couple of strips of PVC or hard rubber between the bottom of the tank and the hull to allow water to pass underneath the tank.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Carl

Re: Aluminum Gas tank coating

Post by Carl »

When I looked into a coating for my tank, Coal tar Epoxy was the item most people I respect recommended..so I went with it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#coal-tar-epoxies/=tcz6bj

The link says it can be brushed on...LOL. Maybe if I was using a porcupine brush...
I used a large spatula and frosted the biggest aluminum cake you ever saw.

The stuff stinks and dries slow. I have nothing to gauge it against for longevity...but can say the stuff shows no sign of deterioration after several years.
Then again I can only see where I can see and not the so important bottom.

Carl