Need Struts i think

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wlbsr

Need Struts i think

Post by wlbsr »

boat yard says for some reason my struts will not accept a change in cutlass bearings and i will need new ones. i know one is slightly damaged but a machine shop said they could not re-bore it. 1 and 1/2 inch shafts... one strut has a number on it. what do i need to do?
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
Navatech

Re: Need Struts i think

Post by Navatech »

wlbsr wrote:boat yard says for some reason my struts will not accept a change in cutlass bearings and i will need new ones. i know one is slightly damaged but a machine shop said they could not re-bore it. 1 and 1/2 inch shafts... one strut has a number on it. what do i need to do?
"For some reason" is an important detail... The exact nature of the damage you mention is also an important detail... Pictures showing the issues might also be helpful...
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

holes at bottom on both have been partially flattened and will be too thin if re-bored. one is the original and the other has been replaced at some point. the original is cracked. this is my first cutlass bearing change and the shafts have always been slightly out of alignment

one side is D564

the bertram strut has the number 081D564R GC

can you just order by these numbers and if so, where?
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

wlbsr,
Try Buck Algonquin in Michigan for bronze struts, or Bobby Soles Propeller Shop in West Palm Beach for stainless steel, Bobby Soles make the oversized rudders for Capt Pat and I have had Buck cast me new struts back in the mid 90's.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

Algonquin referred me to High tide Marine. The originals were 1 3/8 and evidently bored to 1 1/2 when converted to diesels. High Tide has a beefed up version more suited to 1 1/2 shafts. he said all the 31 struts were standard . thanks for the lead Pete. I have 2 on the way.
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

High Tide is where you need to go. My struts are original to the boat. (OEM is what most of the guys here refer to that as). I just went through this with my starboard strut which, fortunately we were able to bend back into alignment. We originally ordered replacement from Buck Algonquin which was not the same as what I had. We sent it back . I spoke with Danny at High Tide; he says that he has sole rights to those struts and Buck makes them but distributes only to High Tide. Danny's price was not out of range with Buck's and Danny was very nice to deal with. Had it on order from High Tide and cancelled when the yard straightened my strut. Here are the part numbers as quoted to me by Danny:

Port Strut: 08D564-1

Stbd: 08D564-2

Those numbers should be on your strut.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

check. Hopefully the strut issue is resolved and we will be back in the water today to resume the black smoke chase with a boost test. see the other thread for updates there.

the struts that high tide sells are made by algonquin. evidently high tide is the exclusive supplier since algonquin referred me to high tide.

the leading and trailing edges have been sharpened per Capt. Pat's tip and the leading corner was knocked off the barrel / cutlass housing. moved the port log since it had been out of line since the original repower and everything seems to be centered and true with no engine adjustment necessary. awaiting the final splash test.

Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Buck is the foundry that makes castings, but its High Tides Pattern (tooling).
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Beefy
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

However if every project is a brain teaser to obtain maximum fuel economy or higher cruise speed you take a different route and that is use a OEM. Diesel struct that once turn a 13/8 shaft . The ID of structs is 11/2" so you look at your cutlass bearing chart and you will see 11/2" ID x 6" x 13/4" OD . So you put in lathe and cut to .015 oversize then Hone struct to fit you are removing less then 0075 because of wear,groves etc. the new cutlass bearing with stick out about a 1" and form a taper or streamlining for less drag. Every little faring helps . Also use flush mount 1000watt internal 24 degree tilt transducer. Image
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I have a pair if you need them 1 1/2 bore (original) I had to go to 1 3/4
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

JimmyG - already bought and installed them but they are eight something each from hightide. we all need to keep your set in mind next time someone needs a set.
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Jimmy G, why did u go to 1 3/4 , I also went that route based on imput from Stuart propellor that designs propulsion for moat of the custom sport fish boats in the southeast, cummins also agreed with the logic, the only difference in cost was the wt of the shafting, labor was a trade off,I have the QSB s 330 hp,