Transducer compatibility- Raymarine to ??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Transducer compatibility- Raymarine to ??

Post by John F. »

Crows Nest has an older Raymarine L1250 ff/gps, hooked up to an Airmar M260 shoot-thru the hull transducer. I'd like to replace the Raymarine with something from Simrad or maybe Furuno. Anybody know if the transducer is compatible with brands other than Raymarine? Is there some type of adapter kit I can get, or do I need to replace the transducer?

Thanks
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Capt.Frank

Re: Transducer compatibility- Raymarine to ??

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
Call Airmar they make almost all the transducers anyway. I called them before with transducer problems they were big help. You might have to either get a adapter or put a new plug end on the wire. They should be able to answer you question.
Crows Nest looks great.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

As Airmar makes practically all transducers out there the M260 can be hooked up to other sonars... Some of the Airmar's come with a specific (e.g. Raymarine) plug and others come with a pigtail that connects to the transducer on one side and a specific plug on the other end... If you have the latter, all you need is a different pigtail... If you have the former and can find an adapter cable you're in luck... Otherwise you cut off the plug on both ends and use a waterproof junction box... IIRC Airmar actually makes a specific junction box...

Having said that, why not leave the current setup in place and add one of those new CHIRP sounders to your new MFD?!...
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks. The existing display is an old Raymarine l1250. Nice display, but in the new location it completely washes out in sunlight. I think I'm going to wait until she's hauled this winter, and get new stuff
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J