A Holy Crap B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Re: A Holy Crap B31

Post by Navatech »

First, Miss Teak is NOT my cup of tea...

Second, I'm not a fan of gas on boats... Inboards, outboards or I/O's... To be very honest, that might have to do with the fact that I'm a diesel grease-monkey...

Third, if you're happy with your boat then so be it... I'm not judgmental or anything... Would I do things differently?!... Absolutely!... But that's neither here nor there... It's your boat, your money... Use and spend it anyway you like as far as I'm concerned...

Fourth, I did VERY much like the quality of the workmanship that went into this project...

Fifth, I wish you luck with your sale but I have my doubts...
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

You are correct different strokes for different folks. It took lots of time and funds to get it where she is today. It was a wreck when I bought it. I will say that I've already turned down offers north of 250k for this boat. There is a market. The only way I can do diesels and tow this boat is to use water jets. Thoughts????
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Outboard 31,

Welcome aboard, and thanks for answering some questions that we hardcore 31ers had about your boat. My O.R. buddy, Jim Bailey, saw your boat up close and said it is stunning. Although most of us prefer keeping the classic powered with the inboard setup, there is no question about the dependability of Yamaha OBs (I've run Yamahas continuously since 1986 with ZERO downtime). Congratulations on successfully marrying the old classic 31 hull with the modern technology of Yamaha outboards (even though I still prefer the IB setup)!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Outboard 31 wrote:You are correct different strokes for different folks.
It would be a boring world if everybody liked the same strokes...
Outboard 31 wrote:I will say that I've already turned down offers north of 250k for this boat. There is a market.
I guess I stand corrected on that point...
Outboard 31 wrote:The only way I can do diesels and tow this boat is to use water jets. Thoughts????
It has been done... Back when the Israeli Navy had several Bertrams some of them were equipped with water jets... They were used in the shallow waters of the Bardawil (north side of the Sinai peninsula)... This was back in the late 60's and early 70's... I wish I knew somebody who'd served on them... They'd be retired by now but when you do something for several years, day and day out, it tends to stick...
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

OB31 - i really like the seat across the stern if you arent fishing. Is there a swim ladder on the bracket ? who did he work? and what kind of boat is the mothership?
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

and holy crap 1450 views in 3 days...
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

There is a bracket for a ladder on the transom. It makes it very easy to get back on with dive gear. The rear seat does get in the way a bit when we bottom fish but it's very nice cruising back there. I had lots of subs work on the boat and I brought it to multiple yards throughout the refit. It took a very long time to get it right. I'm still tweeting it a bit. I'm researching getting the bow up a little at slower speeds. We nicknamed it the kraken when we are underway at 18-20kts in heavy seas. She goes through them instead over them. Running it from below is a must on those days as we do not have any curtains on her. Another neat feature about the boat is it can go on a conventional boat trailer for transport. It's actually going back to South Carolina in a fees weeks on a triple axle trailer. We can launch it at a boat ramp and off we go. That is a big time and money saver compared to running a boat on its own bottom. The mothership is a big Hatteras sportfish and that's why we don't really care for it to be a canyon runner. She tows great behind the big boat going over to the Bahamas. We took her out today in Ocean Reef in a 3-5ft head sea and she did great we averaged 25knts into the sea burning 22gph and we kicked her up to 32knts in a following sea burning 29gph.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I'll repeat myself...I love it! Where is Cap't Bone? This should be his boat?

I really like how that bracket carries the chine line aft. Do you have any photos of the boat out of the water? One of these days I'll be designing a similar bracket for my 25. I'd like to take some notes! Thanks!

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

First of all; welcome!

The problem with uniques (cars, boats, houses, etc.) is that you will never get your money out of them. As I said back in January, at $500k it will never sell. I see it's now listed at $345k; IMO, you are still at least $175k optimistic.

The workmanship is lovely. If the boat in the flesh matches the pictures, you did a fabulous job. But if you get a dollar over $100k, count yourself very fortunate...

Meanwhile, I hope you've had a lot of pleasure out of her.

Cheers!

John
captbone

Post by captbone »

From the get go I loved this boat and you can see the quality in all the work. It all comes down to how you use your boat. I can certainly relate as my use has changed drastically in the past few years with two additions to the family. I bought my Bertram with dreams of offshore fishing in beginning but now tubing, cocktailing, sunset rides and slow cruising is my main goal and 90%+ of the use. The silence of outboards, low draft, no smell, easy of maintenance, and better performance are undeniable.

To push diesels on everyone is not logical and they are not always the best choice for everyone depending on how they use their boats.

Beautiful boat 31 Outboard.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

That boat is beautiful and looks like a lot of fun. That bench across the transom is really sweet for a run across the bay to the beach or a little cocktail cruise. The workmanship is outstanding, and the boat really is lovely to look at.
I have a question about something that you said, you dropped the deck 16"? If that is correct then that is a huge benefit. We run both a 32' Blackfin and the 31 Bertram, and when I first got on the 31 after it was restored I was shocked by how low the gunwales are on the boat. I had not been on a 31 B for years, and my memory of them from childhood was totally off, even my 25' Hydrasport has much higher gunwales. So 15" deeper is really nice to have, especially with little kids.
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

Yes we did drop the deck 16 inches and it makes a huge difference in the cockpit. Also the drop down to the helm area is not as severe. That part of the refit was costly and time consuming to get right. I have zero cockpit deck boxes though. That would be a big negative to charter guys. We added scuppers aft in the pit which the original boat did not really have. The cockpit drains great too. One thing I'm working in is draining the water out of the helm area after a driving rain or big wash down without the use of pumps. She has a center bilge that the water drains into but in the event of pump failure it would be nice to have the water run aft. Does anyone have a drain plug in the center bilge area in their 31s? We keep it on a rack at ocean reef and I would love to be able to pull a plug on it when we leave.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

OB31-

If you mean this mounted centerline at the base of the transom,

then the answer is yes. All our boats have these so they can drain when on the hard.

The lack of deck boxes will turn off some folks, but I have never really used the deck boxes for anything but storage, choosing to use on deck coolers for fish. When I was growing up we didn't have built in coffin boxes, so I just never used them, plus I have a enough trouble keeping the bilges clean without blood and guts draining directly down there.
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

I was told by one B31 owner and professional marine mechanic that some of the 31 s had a drain plug in the cabin area under a hatch in the floor. So we are talking about a plug that is serviceable from inside the boat that will drain the center bilge area when out of the water. I do not have a transom plug either but that is due to the new motor bracket and beefed up transom that it hangs on. My scuppers take care of the cockpit water much like a self bailing cockpit boat.
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

My B28 has one on centreline between the engines. Seadog part 520048 is what I have. A T handle on the inside that I unscrew when on the hard.

Cliff
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

I just ordered it thanks for the help.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

OB 31, help me understand how the cockpit drains through scuppers, given the fact that you lowered the deck 16". If I lowered the deck 16 " on my old 31 it would be beneath the waterline!
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

That is a good question. The boat sits much higher in the water than a conventionally powered 31. Image your 31 without motors and running gear floating in the water. That is essentially how this boat floats because the custom bracket floats all the weight on the motors. I'm not sure how to post pics here but there are a few on Galati Yacht Sales web site showing the bracket that extends the length of the running surface by 3ft. Essentially it's a Bertram 31 stretched limo. The scuppers are connected to drain tubes that are accessible in the aft seating area with valves to close it off if water starts coming on deck. Which has happened on a booze cruise with 8 adults hanging out near the stern. We just close the valves and the problem is solved. There are little clam shells on either side just forward of the transom in the pic and that's where the water comes out. The paint job also hides the fact that the boat sits higher in the water. The waterline on the boat is entirely on the underside of the hull. There is no bottom paint on the hull sides as they are completely out of the water.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I am more of a traditionalist as far as power and performance...and I think that is the attraction to this hull, it's history, legacy, and timeless lines.
I will say this.
The fit and finish look great.
I hope you get every penny you are asking for the boat. The higher ANYONE sells a Bertram31 the better for all of us.
With all that work done I would have liked to see the upper helm dash area redone with angled fiberglass for better viewing of the chartplotter, etc. left and right of the steering.
The windows look nice however here in the tropics I would want to be able to open them..Yeah I know that leads to leakage issues, but I need airflow.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'm not sure about that 16" ……

The draft of the boat is only about 40 inches including the standard inboard running gear.

Doesn't look much different than this one.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

How can I post an image?
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

you have to set up a photobucket account (or something similar). then it should be easy to use the link that they supply and the 'img' button here.

this explains it

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3

do you have any pictures of the mothership with 'miss teak' in tow?
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Exactly the same height as twin 4 cyl. Yanmars ,that edge of reverse chine slightly above water at extreme transom end of boat. She is going to rock and roll drifting in a broaching sea!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks again, OB 31, and I hope you know that you are part of the family here! The reason I sold my 31 was because most of my boating is done in shoaly waters better suited for an OB, so your boat would be great for my use. Clearly, the towing benefits of an OB tender speak for themselves. Your boat is basically a classic "Bertram 34" given the extension. I did a quick check on Yachtworld and there are outboard Regulators, Gradys, Pursuits and Everglades of 32'-35' listed in the $300 - $350K range; I would prefer your boat over those.
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:Exactly the same height as twin 4 cyl. Yanmars ,that edge of reverse chine slightly above water at extreme transom end of boat. She is going to rock and roll drifting in a broaching sea!!!

But I am assuming that is why its a day boat / picnic boat or tender...if you wanna fish slop and the roll is bothersome take the Hatteras.
Trade offs...not everyone want to go offshore in a 31.

I like the engine hatches for storage. The 31 has a huge cockpit till you start bringing gear in...fills up fast and no cabin to speak of for a 31' boat.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

An eloquent response to an elegant boat, like Dick Bertram, u stepped out of the box to create something that could change boat performance, the color scheme is a replica of the new chris craft high end runabouts, the stern seat, bunny pads,command center,teak pods,windows all make that squatty low profile guppy come alive. I also have a 29' hinkley picnic boat that has the same open head but they put a seat cushion on it to hide it,it's never been used by the way, obviously u spent a great deal of time designing the features u felt that were important, I think today's buyer will love the nostalgia but go for the efficiency and over the top craftsmanship, I'm envious,wish I had gone down the out board path as well,let us know what u r going to build next
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I don't understand why these boats are not tenders to more yachts. Even with the fly bridge they are low profiled for transfer into the boat. With jet drives and diesels they are not a gasoline explosive hazard and cost way less than the high end tenders that are way ugly in comparison.

I could just picture a color matched 31b moving folks to and from the Sacara V instead of that ugly 300k pos they have now
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

When I redid wahoo, I put in a teak and holly cabin sole in addition to opening up the vee Berth area and now that area and the cabin r on the same level,I put in 3 2000 rule pumps and 3tee handles, 1 in a forward hatch between the vee bunks that also contains a shower drain box to collect any sea water from the anchor locker as well as a high water switch, in the area just aft of the bulkhead that separates the cabin from the engine compartment,I installed another similar system as well as in the aft lazarret . All systems monitored at the fly bridge with audio/visual display panal, I keep my boat on a lift and i I pull all three gar board plugs when not using the boat ,as u know, 3" of rain in 30 minutes in south Florida is common in the summer
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Sounds like a work of art marlin ,love to see photo's of interior! 3" of rain,in that short amount of time could overwelm a single bilge pump set up before water enters the scuppers.
Last edited by bob lico on Jul 16th, '14, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Tender yep kinda, I sold Seachele to a guy to tow behind his 110' Westport. He actually planned on using it as his billfish boat . Guy from venezuela. No pix never met the owner just his broker. The check cleared
Bill
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

3" of rain in 30 minutes in south Florida is common in the summer
I've done a lot of calculations on rain fall volumes lately. The B31, with roughly 100 sq ft of cockpit surface stands to collect around 62 gallons of water for every 1" of rain fall. 3" in 30 minutes, or 6" in 1 hour would be in the neighborhood 372 gallons that could find it's way into the bilge. That's around 3,100 lbs of water which would submerge the cockpit scuppers, allowing free flow from the sea/lake, if the bilge pumps and batteries weren't up to snuff...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Outboard 31

Post by Outboard 31 »

This Bertram is funny in the sense that it attracts enthusiast wherever she goes. As I mentioned, I was in Ocean Reef last weekend using the boat and on two occasions that I know of a boat and passengers went out of their way to look at this boat. The first gentleman was interesting. We were at the fuel dock there and a fellow in a custom express boat pulled into the fuel dock, tied up and got off his boat to look at the Bertram and ask questions. After he took a few pics he got back in his boat and continued to his slip without getting any fuel. Then the next morning while the boat was tied up behind a condo we rented, a group of folks in a mid thirties Intrepid pulled into the slip next to her, took photos and pulled away grinning from ear to ear. I couldn't not help but chuckle as I was drinking coffee on the balcony watching the whole thing. I would love to do another one especially after what I learned doing this one. I think I could probably shave off some cost in the next one because of the hard lessons I learned on this one that I have fixed. I did go over my notes and I miss quoted the dropping of the cockpit deck. It was dropped 6 inches not 16 inches and we modified the stringers under the deck to accomplish that plus make room for the fuel tank.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Roger that, OB 31; get used to people lingering around your boat as the 31 will always attract classic enthusiasts! Thank you on the clarification of the deck alteration, as the 6" drop sounds right. Actually the earlier 31s had a lower deck than the latter ones, but to increase fuel capacity they raised the deck height to accommodate a deeper fuel tank. The lowered deck definitely feels more comfortable at sea. Best of success on your endeavors.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Outboard 31 wrote:I think I could probably shave off some cost in the next one because of the hard lessons I learned on this one that I have fixed.
Please elaborate on this and share your knowledge... It could be valuable (literally) information for anybody looking to do any major (or even minor) work on a boat...