Motion Sensors for Outdoor Lights

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Motion Sensors for Outdoor Lights

Post by SteveM »

Not a Bertram topic however, this group of guys is the most handy and trustful I know.
The garage in the Bahamas was broken into a few weeks ago. Stole two new small outboard motors, all my tools, etc.
I want to put motion sensors on the existing lanterns on the outside wall of the garage. Everything I read in reviews say they suck.
I can't believe there are no good motion sensors out there. Does anyone have a lead on a good product?
Or an idea for another solution? Thanks.
Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Motion Sensors for Outdoor Lights

Post by CaptPatrick »

12vdc or 120vac?
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

regular 120v. (which is debatable on the island as it browns out a lot but that's a whole other topic)
Steve Marinak
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Another idea is the new digital game cameras, plus they take pics in the dark and or video. Cheaper than surveillance system and wouldn't it be nice to put a face on a wanted poster.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks Patrick.
Bob, yeah the camera thing is on list of ideas but first I'm doing to basics.
Also putting lockable hurricane shutters over the doors and windows.
Steve Marinak
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

In the Salt Air environment, the Raab will last the longest. The home depot stuff will only get you about a year.

Video cameras feeding the computor are cheap. My cousin uses them for his weejebd house up in Pennsylvania. He has them set up so that he can access them from his smart phone. He uses it to check on the house of course, he also uses to see if in the winter the plow has dug him out. Knowing some times he has trouble getting up there, he found them not plowing and billing him. He also has one in the house looking at a temp gauge so he can monitor the winter temp in the house.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

steve my experience with motion detectors is they all suck and are un reliable
I would put a photo eye on the lights, come on at dark, and off in the morning
1968 hull # 316 - 757
spencer

Post by spencer »

Steve,
not to derail the thread can u recommend any boat rentals or private owners willing to rent a boat
20 foot or so , I will be on lubbers from the july 2-9 but all boat rentals on marsh harbour are booked
We are comming over on a 31 catamaran but was trying to find a smaller boat for the other people in are
group

Thanks
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Spencer,
Island Marine is the best rental. Also Sea Horse is good.
http://islandmarine.com/
http://www.seahorseboatrentals.com/
I'll be over there at that time, look for Duchess or one of the Whalers, we usually monitor CH 65.
Steve Marinak
spencer

Post by spencer »

Thanks will look them up
Maybe will see ya over there
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Spencer,
I just thought of this. Dave Gale (owner of Island Marine) has a 20' Moppie, that boat was probably the reason I am a Bertram fanatic. That was his main personal boat for many years decades ago. The boat is now on blocks on the island and his son Jeff hopes to fix her up and back on the water someday. Jeff is an old friend of mine, if you rent from them, tell them I sent you.
Steve
Steve Marinak
spencer

Post by spencer »

Steve called all rentals and no go .
Guess that's what I get when I let other people share the responsibilities
But on a good note I'm bringing the Bertram 25
So it's a tad bigger than what I wanted but will be fun

We will head over the 2 of July
And stay at lubbers , might leave the 25 and be forced back for another
Trip !
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

That totally sucks. Now to get the post back on track...

Here in Worcester, we have theft issues with scrap metal. Surprise surprise. What is actually as surprise is that they are taking ferrous metal now, not just non-ferrous. Be that as it may, we are looking at many options.

The first was to post the area. Signs to say no trespassing and signs to say video monitoring. That give you legal grounds to say you don't belong here. At least in these parts. You can always put up fake cameras in the short term as a deterrant, though that doesn't always work. Lights help, but not really. Around here, it just means they have more light to steal in. We had motion activated, and ultimately we decided to do a few really good newfangled LED floods that are on all the time. Everyone knows that when a light comes on there is not actually someone standing at the window flicking a switch, particularly around 2 am. So light up the area like Christmas, and with LED you don't need to suffer much of a power bill. Just an idea.

We are evaluating gates, and more serious cameras. I personally like lots of cameras for multiple reasons here at work but the boss differs. And he would be pops. So when I get the keys, there will be multiple cameras. Not to spy on my people, but actually to help protect them. But thats another story as well.

Good luck my friend.

Dug
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Dug,
A lot of people tell me to do cameras and I probably will at some point. First is the basics. My issue with the cameras is maintenance, lots of salt spray too and I'm not there frequently enough to fix them if they are down. The phone and internet service and power are sporadic. Along with that, unless it's someone ON the island filmed, I get the feeling I'd still be SOL. Would love to set some bear traps. I saw one solution on line that blasts pepper spray in the doorway and room...I can just imagine setting that off by mistake on myself! LOL
I have a web cam on the house currently that takes a shot every 5 minutes..when the internet works or the system it's cool. http://www.tilloocut.com
I also had a security camera on the corner of the house but it went on the fritz a year or so ago and I have not fixed it since I'd need a lift bucket to get to the camera.
I'm learning as I go...

Spencer, I'm not headed back out till the 11th of July. If you are still there give me a shout. You could leave the 25 at Lighthouse marina if you need it hauled, they are inexpensive. Probably about $100/month for your boat.

Steve
Steve Marinak