stiff throttle cable

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrwolfe

stiff throttle cable

Post by jrwolfe »

I have to think this cable issue is a minor problem, but if there Is an easy answer I would appreciate it. The Throttle cable on one engine has become stiff after winter storage. Presently the cables are the red and probably have been installed since 1984 and run in fresh water. Is there any way to lubricate them or should I bite the bullet and replace. If so, what is the recommended brand for the 260 hp Mercruiser installed in a B28. Thanks for the help. JW
Tony Meola

Re: stiff throttle cable

Post by Tony Meola »

Jeff

No way of lubricating them that I know off. Check to make sure it is not hanging up some where. Maybe it is jambed on a bend some place.

The originals were Teleflex. Not sure what size for a 28.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Jeff,

One possible way of lubricating cables is that you make a small funnel type of contraption with flexible plastic and electric tape at the highest end of the cable and fill it with lubricating oil. Let it sit there till all oil has penetrated through the hole downwards inside the sleeve. Normally though, since this job takes some time, its better to do it at the end of the season to be ready for the next one. Good luck.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Usually if you can lube it the cable has already lost its seal so any benefits of lube should be understood as short term.

That said, disconnect and ran cable. Add a light coat of penetrating oil, ( I like CB buster and liquid wrench) and work cable back and forth. Clean and repeat a few times. Usually it lasts awhile till you can replace at a better time.

As said, also check for tight bends in cable, they like long gentle sweeps to run free.
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Most likely the cable, but the shifter could be "stiff". Take the cable off the shifter and see if the arm moves freely, if not that can be greased.

With that said, if the cables are that old, I would change them. If they break, it always happens at the worst time, like backing into a slip and the shifter cable breaks and you are now stuck in reverse and you don't realize it.
Scott Traenkle
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

jwolfe,
If they are that old it's time to replace them, there should be a number stamped on them saying what the length is, get the Supreme red jacket cables they are the best. If one is going bad the others aren't far behind.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61